Re: Debian + KDE disk

Bruce Perens writes:
> From: "James A. Treacy" <treacy@debian.org>
> > One of the ideas in founding Debian is that distributions could be built
> > on top of it. What exactly is your problem with this?
>
> Right. Like I said, I can't stop it. Doing so would not be consistent with
> our principles. I still wish they were not going to do it, because I don't
> want to help their project.

Hey, kde is a very increasive (sp?) project which means great advantage
for Linux.  They're implementing a complete and consistant desktop
also containing programs you normally only get for M$ W......  This
makes Linux much more usable for non technical users than before.

KDE is more or less free software, based on a more or less free
library.  Personally I don't like the Qt licence much and kde won't
fit my needs but for many people it does.

We're already helping KDE as we (ok, tolonuga does) produce and ship
.deb files for kde that fit in the debian system just perfect.

It is one of the great advantages of Debian GNU/Linux that you can
take the distribution, add your parts to it and produce a third party
product.

I think we should be happy that the KDE folks are going to support
Debian.

Regards

	Joey

 / The MS-DOS filesystem is nice for removable media             /
/                                             -- H. Peter Anvin /