Re: Debian + KDE disk

Hi,
>>"Christoph" == Christoph Lameter <chris@waterf.org> writes:

Christoph> On 30 Oct 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

Christoph> Gandhi used the boycott as a last resort against a violent
Christoph> regime.

	Actually, it was his first order of business when he came back
 to india in 1912, ans to took another 33 years for it to work ;-)

Christoph> Otherwise he was very cautious of respecting the freedom of
Christoph> other people to determine by themselves how to do
Christoph> things. He was willing to suffer himself rather than
Christoph> inflict suffering on others.

	Just like we are willing to make sacrifices in Debian (and are
 not asking other distributions to do so ;-) ;-)

Christoph> He insisted on building coalitions between different ethnic
Christoph> groups in India by sacrificing quite a bit of his own
Christoph> agenda rather than alienating people.

	Where do you get the latter from? The reason he succeeded so
 well is that the man never sacrificed his principles. However, this
 is getting quite off topic.

>> Sorry, I do not buy this. Let us promote something undesirable, so
>> that one day they may like us enough to change is a bad idea (oh,
>> exceptions exist, but I don't think this is an exception).

Christoph> Life is not that black and white as you paint it to
Christoph> be. Often you have to go along with something that is not
Christoph> so desirable in order to attain a higher goal.

	Yes, but one never sacrifices that higher goal. Our compromise
 is the non-free section. We have it there because we have to; we do
 not have to approve of it or promote it, we merely condone the
 section.

Christoph> Things can be fixed and are usually changed on the way to
Christoph> that goal. Having a decent Desktop environment for Linux is
Christoph> very important for the success of Linux as a whole.

	Fine. Red Hat and Caldera take care of that for us. There is
 no need for Debian to go that route. There *is* a difference between
 Debian and our commercial siblings. This is one.

Christoph> Splitting hairs and "boycotting" other Linux development
Christoph> projects is destructive.

	This is not splitting hairs. Free software, as defined in the
 DFSG, is a basic integral part of Debian. We can't ignore it whenever
 tempted and still keep our soul. (sorry for the emotionally charged
 phrases)

Christoph> The license of qt has already come quite a long way AFAIK.

	How has it changed, then?

	manoj

--
 "We are on a threshold of a change in the universe comparable to the
 transition from nonlife to life." Hans Moravec (on artificial