Re: on the goal of debian

I apologize for speaking up as such a newbie to the Debian project.
Thank you, Bruce, for your response.  (and, btw, this message is not by
any means implying insult or criticism.  just a little constructive
advice and maybe a little bit of a cry for help from a new
maintainer...)

I think what this may point to is that Debian may need to work on its
new maintainer initiation process.  I know when I signed on, it took
over a month or so to get a response and since I have joined it has
basically been full up to me to get things figured out.  And as a
newbie, this is very difficult.  I am slowly wading through the Debian
packaging manual and the Debian Developer's guide (or whatever they are
called), but I feel this is the hard way about it.

Bruce Perens wrote:

> From: Paul J Thompson <thomppj@okstate.edu>
> > Gee, this kinda scares me.  I think I joined Debian because I thought it
> > was the best implementation of Linux, not because they were aiming for
> > 100% free.
>
> Uh-oh. Read http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html right away. I
> did not think that anyone would join the project without learning that
> much of what we are about. It's the second link on our web page, right
> below "About Debian".

Come on, can't you understand someone just really excited about helping,
but not quite sure where to go.  And when the concept of me maintaining
a package came up, the Debian developer advising me just said go for it,
and didn't exactly point me here and there and say "Read these
first!"...  oh well...(such is life)

> > I could go on about this forever.
>
> Yes, but by doing that you might imply that we have never thought about
> these issues :-) We have discussed them _thoughly_, and we came to a
> consensus and set the basic goals of the project.

yes, I can quite see from the lists that these things _do_ get discussed
thouroughly.  and I didn't mean to imply anything :-)...

> > BTW, I want to see these grand policies being quoted that are always
> > being quoted.  Is there a debian mission statement somewhere or is that
> > the Debian Manifesto I see lying around.  (sorry for the nerwbie
> > question, but hey, this is what mentors would be for...)
>
> I'm going to ask the new-maintainer folks to verify that all applicants
> have read that document. It's the least we can do.

Good idea.  And maybe see what you guys can work up as an initiation
process for a new maintainers.  The best idea I have heard of yet is the
mentor idea.  This would take the least effort by the current
maintainers and be very helpful.  And even further (just a wishlist of
sorts), I might suggest that someone look into writing something about
"Putting out Your First Package".  There are a lot of details to learn
about it and it is quite
overwhelming.

:-]

-----
Brought to you by the letters P and N and the number 16.

Paul J. Thompson <http://thomppj.student.okstate.edu/~thomppj/>
<thomppj@thomppj.student.okstate.edu>