Re: giving money to gnome

On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Paul J Thompson wrote:

> On Wed, 19 Nov 1997, Enrique Zanardi wrote:
>
> Andreas, I agree with you 100%.  This kind of antagonistic behavior toward
> the non-dfsg community is downright immature and, as you said, shameful!

Great. Using money donated to us, to support the project we like best is
antagonistic behavior. Very fair.

> > (Remember, some people here have felt insulted because the distribution
> > choosen for that Qt-champion product was Debian. But that's how _free_
> > software works! You are free to use it the way you like best, even if
> > doing so is dangerous to the same free software movement that provides
> > it. Perhaps the KDE people should think a bit about that before trying
> > to be _the_ Linux Desktop Enviroment).
>
> I'm sorry, Enrique, but this is the largest load of crap I have heard in a
> long time.

Glad to hear that.

> Our distribution being chosen above the others should first
> thing be considered a complement, and last thing an insult.

Using ones work to promote something against ones ideals can be
considered "unfair".

> And, btw, I
> don't know if you have looked at it, but the KDE projects stuff is pretty
> darn good (the best DE concept currently existant for Linux) so I don't
> think you have much room to talk about them "trying to be _the_ Linux
> Desktop Environment.

Sorry, my English skills are not that good. Can you explain me why
"quality" and "desire to be the Linux DE of choice" are incompatible?  I
don't think KDE is a bad product (hey, in fact I think it's really nice).
If it were based on a free library I bet it would be already in our main
section. But as it is not, it can't be our preferred DE (nor Red Hat's,
for what's worth).

(Of course, "the best DE concept currently existant for Linux" is a
personal view, isn't it?)

> An hey, where is your appreciation.  Put yourself in their shoes.  Sure,
> they're ways (concerning qt) don't match up with ours completely, but
> there sure are a bunch of people putting in a whole lot of _volunteer_
> time for the KDE project.  Try to think before preaching next time.

Yeah, of course they are volunteers, so we are, so are the GNOME people.
Does that mean we have to donate our money to the KDE people? Do we have
to prefer their work instead of GNOME? It's a pity their work relies on
a non-DFSG compliant library (hey, RH doesn't like Qt either), but that
was their choice, and who we support is ours.

	Thanks,
--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna