Re: giving money to gnome

> > > Say what? One would think that we could donate to any free software
> > > project we desire and it would not be "antagonistic". KDE gets half of
> > > the money from the CD directly from Lehmans Bookstore. Debian gets the
> > > other half, and gives it to GNOME. That sounds fair to me.
> > It would be fair, if you had the courage to say, that your intent isn't to
> > support a free replacement for Qt, but to help a KDE replacement.
> Nobody has ever said they have a problem with KDE, have they?
> Can you quote it, or provide a URL to the mailing list index?

That's exactly waht I meant - I only heard comments stating:

Let's help building a free Qt replacement, so let's give the money to
GNOME. Don't you just see - of course this doesn't say "We hate KDE",
which is exactly why I wrote - "if you had the courage to say that".

Supporting GNOME primarily means, supporting a replacement to KDE. Only
part of the money will help replacing Qt. But - this replacing Qt will be
done by replacing a Qt based product (KDE).

> > You say, you want to support a free Qt replacement - go ahead:
> >
> > 		GIVE THE MONEY TO GTK!
> >
> > 		GNOME ISN'T A REPLACEMENT FOR QT, IT JUST USES A
> > 		FREE QT REPLACEMENT.
>
> But giving the money to GTK won't make KDE change over to GTK,
> so we still won't have a free KDE, which is what you want, isn't it?

Hopefully you don't want to try telling me, that supporting GNOME
is going to give us a free KDE.

After seeing some other "random sugegstion", I am now even more inclined
to say:

   talk to the KDE people about them replacing their use of Qt by using
GTK. If they can agree to that - give the money to KDE to help exactly
that purpose. If they won't like to change over to GTK, then give the
money to GTK, so that all projects using GTK will benefit from this by
aiding their central GUI toolkit.

> Look, one way or another we want a GPL desktop. Giving money to GNOME/GTK
> will produce one. Giving money to KDE won't help because they aren't
> interested in fixing the Qt problem.

Aha - but this sounds different from previous statements to help a free Qt
replacement. You're saying, your goal is to create a GPL desktop.

But - is that all that it takes? Don't you think - supporting GTK to
mature wouldn't be better - as this would help all kinds of people to
maybe consider GTK instead of Qt.

  Benedikt

Windows 95: n.
    32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
    operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,  written
         by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.