Re: giving money to gnome

On Thu, Nov 20, 1997 at 09:14:53AM +0100, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
> Supporting GNOME primarily means, supporting a replacement to KDE. Only
> part of the money will help replacing Qt. But - this replacing Qt will be
> done by replacing a Qt based product (KDE).

The problem is that from all the reports we've had, there is no
intention to replace Qt by the KDE folks. If that is the case,
then we do need to replace KDE as well, unless we somehow
come up with a free Qt, which Bruce suggests is dangerous
from a legal point of view anyway.

> > But giving the money to GTK won't make KDE change over to GTK,
> > so we still won't have a free KDE, which is what you want, isn't it?
>
> Hopefully you don't want to try telling me, that supporting GNOME
> is going to give us a free KDE.

Of course not. Supporting GTK could, if KDE wanted to change.

>    talk to the KDE people about them replacing their use of Qt by using
> GTK. If they can agree to that - give the money to KDE to help exactly
> that purpose. If they won't like to change over to GTK, then give the
> money to GTK, so that all projects using GTK will benefit from this by
> aiding their central GUI toolkit.

I would agree with this.

> > will produce one. Giving money to KDE won't help because they aren't
> > interested in fixing the Qt problem.
>
> Aha - but this sounds different from previous statements to help a free Qt
> replacement. You're saying, your goal is to create a GPL desktop.
>
> But - is that all that it takes? Don't you think - supporting GTK to
> mature wouldn't be better - as this would help all kinds of people to
> maybe consider GTK instead of Qt.

Fine, giving the money to GTK will help GNOME, and help
KDE if they switch. That is, if GTK needs the help. But giving
the money direct to KDE doesn't help produce a free desktop
OR a free toolkit.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.