Re: giving money to gnome

BEH> OTOH if you spend money for GNOME instead of giving it to GTK
BEH> directly, then you'll support a free desktop, but not replacing
BEH> Qt. Unless gtk becomes REALLY popular and gets more help, more
BEH> projects will be done making Qt. So - what comes after Gnome?
BEH> Once Gnome can take on KDE, what will happen? Debian will go and
BEH> finance a free QWeb? And then a free Q<whatever>?

The GNOME Project is already working in a free webbrowser. So helping
GNOME will be a nice thing.

Cloning Qt won't make it "free software". This clone will be, in
principle, just that, a clone. It will have to comply with the
"standards" established by troll. It will never have the freedom to be
incompatible, if it proves to be necessary. So, should a free Qt be
written just because the KDE project chose to using Qt? There's no
other reason to use Qt instead of GTk. It's the same situation as
Motif. You can argue that there is already some software written for
Qt (although most of them turn around KDE), but the GNOME project
will/is making massive reuse of code, when possible, so we won't loose
that much.

--
 Emilio C. Lopes <mailto:Emilio.Lopes@Physik.TU-Muenchen.DE>