Re: giving money to gnome

> Cloning Qt won't make it "free software". This clone will be, in
> principle, just that, a clone. It will have to comply with the
> "standards" established by troll. It will never have the freedom to be
> incompatible, if it proves to be necessary.

Which would point to the fact, that Borland did invent C and Pascal,
right? Otherwise, how could they ever have made it incompatible to other
implementations?

Your comment is just nonsense. Whoever "controls" the market has the power
to do changes (unless of course he is adhering to some ANSI/ISO/DIN
standard which forces him to stay on course). Of course FreeQt - or
whatever free Qt toolkit - will be able to become incompatible one day,
namely the day, that it has a higher market penetration than the original.
The free Qt could just start putting more and more functionality
requested by its users into the toolkit, if Qt doesn't have it. In this
case, if these become popular Troll would be required to follow to keep
their share...

> So, should a free Qt be written just because the KDE project chose to
> using Qt? There's no other reason to use Qt instead of GTk. It's the
> same situation as Motif. You can argue that there is already some
> software written for Qt (although most of them turn around KDE)

... like Qt-Nethack, QWeb, pppload, ...

> but the GNOME project will/is making massive reuse of code, when
> possible, so we won't loose that much.

Fine, but here we'd have to keep track of KDE, since KDE is already there
and will definetely have an established user base by the time, that GNOME
will be "properly released".

  Benedikt

Windows 95: n.
    32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
    operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,  written
         by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.