Re: provocative actions

Bruce Perens wrote:
> From: Will Lowe <harpo@udel.edu>
> > Sorry,  it just seems to me that in this case,  we've put forth a
> > set of guidelines,  and now we're saying "Gosh,  I almot wish some of
> > those guidelines didn't apply" -- we'd like to discourage them.  Why?  We
> > set out to let anyone do anything they wanted ...
>
> There is a set of activities that it is OK for us to not _like_ even if
> our own rules don't allow us to restrict them.
>
> For example, suppose someone built a system for sending spam on top of
> Debian. We'd not like it, but our guidelines allow it. We might even
> publish a spam filter, or work against spammers in other ways. If the
> spammer violated software licenses, we'd get after him about that.
> We would not say "you can't use Debian to send spam" because the DFSG
> paragraph 6 "No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor" prevents us
> from doing that. But that still doesn't mean we have to _like_ spam.

Of course, if such a mythical Debian-Spam system existed, some people
would argue that we shouldn't use any donations that the spammers gave
us to create anti-spam software.

(But imagine, if each spammer on the list sent us $5, and passed the
message on to 5 friends... ;)

--
       Tyson Dowd           #
                            #         Linux versus Windows is a