Re: [Fwd: is kde enough free?]

> It should be noted that the KDE developers I spoke with regarded this
> as a deliberate slight by Debian, despite the fact that NOT having
> the licenses in place is quite clearly a breach of Troll's
> licensing conditions (they have to be GPL, and no license != GPL).

Even if KDE's dependence on qt requires it to be GPLed, does not mean that
the authors released it using the GPL. The FSF, with all the care
it takes, has had at least one case where they had to yank code out
because they didn't have the legal right to use it. Debian has gotten
to the size that we need to be careful to dot our i's and cross our
t's or we could find ourselves on the wrong side of a lawsuit.
You may not agree with this policy, but it is the right way to do
things.

> There appears to be a lot of conspiracy theories from some KDE folks
> about both Debian and Redhat.

I haven't decided whether conspiracy theorists are ignorant or just plain
stupid. (You know things are out of control when you almost don't include
a line like the previous because you are afraid someone will interpret it
as a slight against themselves and add fuel to the fire. We'll see.)

- Jay