Re: giving money to gnome

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997, Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:

> > > KDE people have a good reason to be insulted, since we are getting money
> > > from JF Lehmann for a *KDE* CD that just happens to have a Debian
> > > distribution on there as well.
> > Do you honestly think that JF Lehmann would have donated any money from
> > this sale if Debian had not been on the CD?
>
> I guess so, also - in that case the donation would be easier for them
> (only one party to deal with).
>

> > While I don't completely agree with your premiss here, I will put that
> > aside and say, given what you just said, "Yes, but the money was given
> > without strings (as far as I know, and I don't think we could accept it if
> > it came with restrictions), so why, exactly, are we supposed to give up
> > our goals, move away from Free Software support and give the money to
> > KDE?"
>
> I said give it to KDE if they *WILL* use it for porting KDE to GTK
> therefore becoming a completely FREE thing.
>
> If the KDE guys won't like to port KDE to GTK, *THEN* give the money to
> the GTK people or pick another project - just not one in direct
> competition with KDE, since we only have this revenue DUE to KDE.

Well, as I said before, and you almost seemed to agree with, we get this
money from JFL because they used Debian and wished to support our projects
as well as the KDE ones. Implying that we got this money because of KDE
being on the CD is simply wishful thinking.

> Does it sound better that way?

Yes. I would have no problem with supporting KDE in a porting effort to a
free tool kit, but all indications are that they are not interested in
doing that port. As GNOME and GTK are intimately related it seems
equivalent to provide either one with help moving down the road.
(financing GTK efforts certainly helps the GNOME project, but financing
the GNOME projects efforts helps both GTK and a totally free desk top.
Take your pick)

Luck,

Dwarf