Re: on other DFSG-free projects

Christian Leutloff wrote:
> Bruce Perens <bruce@debian.org> writes:
>
> > I think it makes sense for us to make a web page of links to other
> > projects that are producing free software by the DFSG definition.

A small collection of links to DFSG software is at the top of the
Related Links page.  Suggestions for others (with URL) appreciated.
If the collection grows too large, I'll simply keep only the big packages
here and put a link to the rest.

> good idea. What about extending the menu package for an extern link to
> get more information. After that our web server can extract the actual
> information directly from out packages.

It has already been proposed to create a database of this type of information.
Adding it to the web pages would then be trivial. The problem is not
just that the packages need to be unpacked to get at some information,
but that even then, not all information (like source location or upstream
URLs) is in a standard format. This makes it rather difficult to parse.

There have been some movements towards standardizing upstream information,
but they aren't moving very quickly.

- Sue