Re: giving money to gnome

From: Benedikt Eric Heinen <beh@icemark.ch>
> Is GNOME the only possible free software project we could give
> money to?

No, of course not. It's one that is worthy and has a good chance
of having good results in the short term.

> Why can't GTK be an alternative?

If the GNOME folks want to spend money on GTK development, they will
tell me. They are the ones best qualified to judge this. My impression
is that this is not where the development is needed any longer - they
are working on desktop tools that actually _use_ GTK.

> Why do people say, they just want to give money to GNOME to
> support GTK, when giving the money to GTK would have the same
> effect, but wouldn't upset KDE people so much?

I'm not sure that's valid.

> Why not give THIS money to dselect?

There are a bunch of people working on dselect and they have no need
for money right now. They will tell me when they need it.

There will be a front-end for choosing packages in 1.3 that lets you
choose broad categories like "web server" and "development machine",
so that most people will not deal with dselect any longer. I am working
on that right now.

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502