Re: giving money to gnome

> We *CAN* do that, YES. We *SHOULDN'T* do that, though, WITHOUT KDE people
> intervening to keep us away from giving the money to GNOME. This is called
> "ethics".

I have no ethical problem with giving the money to GNOME. We did not ask
them to put Debian on the CD and we did not say "If you put Debian on the
CD we will put all the money we make from it into stuff you approve of".
We agreed that they had the right to put us on the the CD without asking
permission, and told them ahead of time that we would use the money to
replace Qt. Funding GNOME is how we want to replace Qt.

So, let's extend this a bit. Someone uses your Debian package to send spam
and sends you a donation from all the money he makes with the spam. You want
to turn the spammer's efforts against him, and you send the money to a
congressman who is writing a bill to ban spam. The spammer protests that you
should not use his donation this way, that it is an insult to spammers
everywhere and is dishonorable. The spammmer has the right to use your
software under your own license, but he has no right to tell you how to use
his donation.

As long as the KDE project depends on Qt they are non-free, and they are
_violating_the_terms_of_the_GPL_ by putting Qt in GPL-ed software. Of
course, the only ones who can prosecute against GPL violations are the
copyright holders themselves, and obiviously the KDE programmers won't
prosecute themselves, but that doesn't mean I have to approve of
GPL-violators, and it doesn't mean I have any ethical problem with turning
their own efforts against them.

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502