Re: [Fwd: is kde enough free?]

From: Andreas Jellinghaus <aj@dungeon.inka.de>
> there are two aspects :
> a) is a software free ? (that's the  DFSG)
> b) does the software fit into debian ? (thats social contract #1 and
> policy manual)
>
> b) does not affect a). even if a software does not fit into debian,
> it is still free. maybe you should find a better term than non-free, if
> you want to express that some software does not fit into debian.

You can read implicitly into the DFSG provisions, the sentence "This applies
to the entire program, not just 99% of it". You do not have to state such
things, like "This means YOU" they are implicit.

I could write an entirely free program that was a derivative work of
something else that was not free, and it would still not be free as
long as it was a derivative work of a non-free program. All uses of a
library are derivative works of that library. If this was not the case
there would be no need for the LGPL.

Can you get your operating system fixed when you need it?
Linux - the supportable operating system. http://www.debian.org/support.html
Bruce Perens K6BP   bruce@debian.org   NEW PHONE NUMBER: 510-620-3502