Re: giving money to gnome

On Fri, 21 Nov 1997 22:29:34 +0100 Benedikt Eric Heinen
(beh@icemark.ch) wrote:

> > No, but it's the best *free* desktop (here all future references to
> > free mean "unencumbered by a non-free component"), and Bruce does feel
> > very strongly that we *need* a good free integrated desktop.  (He's
> > probably right.  *I* don't need it, but Debian probably does.)
>
> Why would Debian profit from GNOME? If it is truly free, it'll be taken
> over by all distributions. That is not a problem, since we have our social
> contract.
>
> *BUT* this will not help promote Debian, it will help promote RedHat and
> SuSe (among other distributions).
>
> Why? Simple, a new user will most likely be "lured" to Linux, if Linux
> becomes more user friendly. A free GOOD desktop will certainly help with
> that.

Your argument (helping GNOME will lure more users into linux, but they will pick RedHat or SuSe because they have nicer gadgets than debian) might be good. However, I'd say, still give the money to GNOME, and start developing a control panel for Debian instead of going on this flame war.

Folks, this thread is long enough. I do believe that Bruce came with a good compromise which is to give KDE the money we get from the CD if they commit to move away from Qt.

Now, back to work, let's roll this Debian 2.0 out !

Phil.