Re: giving money to gnome

Benedikt Eric Heinen wrote:
> *BUT* this will not help promote Debian, it will help promote RedHat and
> SuSe (among other distributions).

Hi.  Apologies for quoting just this bit, I wanted to provide the context
without repeating your whole mail.

My view on the problem you state is quite simple:
Red Hat is not the enemy.  Microsoft is the enemy.

Any user that is attracted to Linux and escapes from that pit of
broken "software" is a win for us.  There's a whole environment out
there where "sharing" means distributing crippleware with builtin
timebombs and demanding money for its use.  There is no need to covet
the other distributions' user bases when there are so many people
still muddling along without source code!

Sure, they'll probably start with Red Hat because their friends run it
and it's easily available in the bookstores.  They'll switch to Debian
when they realise it's better :-)

If ever we find ourselves refusing to support a free software project
because it would be bad for Debian, then we have overshot our goal.

I think that's enough subjectiveness for one mail, I'll stop now :)

Richard Braakman