Re: giving money to gnome

Riku Voipio <riku.voipio@iki.fi> writes:

> Sure, I don't think there is any problem with debian giving money to a free
> software project. The problem is that Bruce said that he is going to use the
> money given to the debian project we got from a Debian+kde disk directly to
> the gnome project. So practically we are giving money we got from the work
> of kde team to their worst competitor!

You are missing several key points.

1. KDE did not give us the money.  A bookstore did/will.  We are not
   supporting a bookstore; thus we are not supporting a competitor.
   Our money was because of Debian, not because of KDE.
2. We cannot let outside donors (bookstores especially) influence our
   policy and weaken our stance on free software.
3. It is in our best interest to continue work on a free desktop
   envorinment.

> I really wonder what Bruce thinks he is gaining with his provocative actions
> against the KDE people.

Provocative?  Hardly.  KDE people knew what they were doing when they
picked Qt.  Now they must live with their actions.

> No wonder, if commercial distributions don't use Debian as it's base :(.

Urmm, to what are you referring here?

> Your ashamed Riku Voipio
>

> --

John Goerzen          | Developing for Debian GNU/Linux (www.debian.org)
Custom Programming    | Debian GNU/Linux is a free replacement for
jgoerzen@complete.org | DOS/Windows -- check it out at www.debian.org.