Re: giving money to gnome

> Hang on -- we let everyone do what we want with the distribution
> (which we encourage under the GPL) but we can't even comment on it?
> If you expect Debian to respect their right to do as they wish
> with the distribution, and therefore their decision to use
> Debian as the underlying OS in a non-free project,
> then you should expect them to have at least some CONSIDERATION
> for our policies. Our policies say that free software comes first.

Totally invalid.  If we are going to make our rules, then we can't
complain when someone follows through with them.  And, also, shouldn't it
always be our responsiblity to be more mature (if they really have done
anything wrong)?

> I think Enrique has a point. Sure you can base any product you want
> on Debian, but if you annoy enough of the free-software-diehards
> in the process, then there won't be any Debian. They need to have
> some consideration towards us too.

Actually, according to our rules, no, they don't.  And I think "there not
being any more Debian" is a wonderful dramatization, but means almost as
much as a one legged lamma.  Nothing.

> But they haven't shown that they are willing to do anything about the
> problem. They are happy with the situation. We are not.

Oh, let's whine now...  Come on, why should they do anything?  We simply
have a disagreement in policy.  And we _did_ say anyone could use us as a
base distribution...

				Paul J Thompson