Re: "purity" package

John Goerzen wrote:

> I am rather concerned about this package.  I don't really think that
> it has a place in an operating system distribution, especially one
> that is supposed to be professional.  It can also put CD vendors in an
> awkward position -- they may not want to distribute things like that,
> but since' it's in main, it is on our official CD.  Also it may put
> some CD vendors in a questionable legal position.
>
> I think it should be pulled ...

I searched for an email on debian/devel posting a notice to package
this "program" for Debian, but couldn't find it.

I hope the project is not following a policy that anyone can package
anything that is freely distributable _in the name of the Debian project_
without approval by the developers.

If not, then this package's presence in the distribution should at least
be up for discussion now.  In that context, I believe that the critical
criterion on which packages should be evaluated for inclusion in
the Debian distribution is the extent to which they serve the project's
stated goal to "provide a freely distributable, full-featured, Unix-like
operating system, based on the Linux kernel and the GNU development tools."
John Goerzen has given good reasons why this package not only fails to
serve, but actually undermines the Debian project's goals.  Therefore
I agree that it should be pulled immediately.

Susan Kleinmann