Re: "purity" package

On 29 Nov 1997, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> >>"Enrique" == Enrique Zanardi <ezanardi@ull.es> writes:
>
> Enrique> I think we should have the power to decide what goes and what
> Enrique> doesn't go in our distribution. It's not as simple as "don't
> Enrique> install it!" when you have already paid for the CDs!
>
> 	Now that is an specious argument indeed. I now live in a state
[...]
>  prevailing wind, here in the heart of Dixie.

We (Debian) are ~200 people from all over the world, with different
religions, different cultures, different views. I guess that puts us in a
better possition to avoid that kind of short-sighted decissions.

> Enrique> And who draws the line? We as a whole do it, as we do (or
> Enrique> want to do) with every policy decision. What's wrong with
> Enrique> Debian deciding "foo" doesn't belong to Debian GNU/Linux
> Enrique> distribution?
>
> 	In things like religious freedom and freedom of speech, the
>  tyranny of the majority is not often the best solution. If freedom of
>  speech is merely what is decided on by the majority, then truly you
>  do not have fredom of speech.

We are not talking about freedom of speech. We are not going to remove
all that evil/dirty/nasty/Microsoft/foo programs from the Internet.
It's only that we don't want to distribute them. Why do we have to?
Do we really have to distribute every collection of bytes anybody cares
to package in a deb file? Isn't there something about "Quality" implied?
(Yes, I know "Quality" is not an absolute magnitude. Let's leave the
detailed definition for another thread).

--
Enrique Zanardi						   ezanardi@ull.es
Dpto. Fisica Fundamental y Experimental			Univ. de La Laguna