Re: "purity" package

(agh, just sent it to manoj the first time, (shaya wants to kill Eudora)
changed a few things too)

At 12:04 PM 11/29/97 -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>Hi,
>>>"Shaya" == Shaya Potter <spotter@kby.netmedia.net.il> writes:
>
>Shaya> Also, we could get in trouble for "publishing" info that is
>Shaya> illegal for minors to get their hands on.
>
>	Haven't you  heard? Even in the united states, the CDE is now
> illegal, not material published on the web or therwise. Maybe it is
> time for the parents of the kids to exercise more parental guidance,
> where required?

However, their is a lot of material, that is still illegal, in print (and
therefor by definition on the web).  The reason the CDE got outlawed is
because 1) it was vauge, and 2) it was stricter than what was done to print
media.  i.e. a kid could leagally get the same information from a book store
that would be illegal for him to view on the web.  However, their remains a
whole bunch of stuff which is illegal (such as child pornography, and other
things.  I believe sex with animals might come under this too and therefore
this package might also be illegal) which is also illegal on the web.   My
main point is, there's a small grey area of programs that we may or may not
be allowed to distribute (going on my original example, Mein Kampf or other
Neo-Nazi "propoganda might be illegal in germany).  However, you have to
draw the line somewhere, and since the dist. is "headquarted" in the US,
most US laws seem to be a good guideline, unless we have a fundemental
reason why we disagree with them, such as the encryption laws.

>	manoj
> ps: from my limited knowledgs, shaya is turning out just fine in
> spite of the corrupting influence of Debian systems ;-)

:), however if you'd know me in real life, I'm a real liberal in the circles
I come from, being a black hatter (not hater) and all, and going to yeshivas
my whole life. :)   However, I agree with the basic gist of the statement,
so thanks.

Shaya
  who'se wondering what manoj would think of him, if he knew how involved
shaya's dad was with the original ITAR and ADA. :)