Re: not a first amendment question

bruce@va.debian.org  wrote on 29.11.97 in <19971129181748.24909.qmail@va.debian.org>:

> I think we can safely draw the line somewhere before sex with animals and
> incest.

I think we can safely draw the line before promoting these, or putting out
anything that needs this to happen to be produced (like GIFs of it).

A very different matter, OTOH, is just talking about it. I'm pretty far
from convinced that we can safely draw the line before that.

Incidentally, the bible is quite clearly on the wrong side of both my and
your ideas about that line - it does promote incest, for example. However,
people get incensed about purity and not about the bible. Something to
ponder ...

As to the question about appropriateness in general somewhere else in this
thread, yes, I've been thinking about that since the bible and the
magazines came up.

Maybe it's time to split some sort of supplementary distribution off the
main Debian one. I'm not quite clear on how best to handle this, though.

Maybe we should do it similarly to the non-US stuff, but with a different
criterion (exact terms to be determined, but NOT "offensive").

At first glance (at the descriptions only), the following existing
packages look like pretty obvious candidates:

  arrl-infoserv
  wordnet{,doc}
  verse
  pj*n*
  lg-issue*
  bible-kjv

Of course, there's other stuff that might go there, too - large parts of
otherosfs, games, sound ... it all depends on which driteria we choose.

MfG Kai