Re: Debian GNU/Linux Logo chosen

According to the votes cast on fatman, there were *many* logos more well-liked
then the one you chose.   I believe this decision would have been more
appropriately made by the Debian Constitutional voters (those ok for the
Project Leader vote).  I would suggest a panel of the top five logos from the
fatman page which fill our requirements (i.e. being trademarkable, wipe out
all those that are to close to Tux).  I would also suggest we include your
selection as one of the 5 choices, after all, you are currently the project
leader.  I think hiring a commercial artist would be a mistake since we have
so many good submissions already.

What do you think, guys?  Is this worth a vote?  (An official, once and for
all, vote?)

> We had a contest with votes. The contest went on for an awful long time,
> (someone said two years???). The most popular logo in the contest was not
> one that we could trademark, and it was very similar to logos used by
> similar products. We could not have used it for that reason.
> Meanwhile, I had gotten a commercial artist to draw the Open Hardware
> logo from a concept that I designed, and that worked out very well.
> The person who was running the contest and I discussed hiring a commercial
> artist for the Debian logo as well. Some time went by and a lot of people
> got after me to get the logo done. I was about to hire the aritst (for $$$)
> and I took another look at the logo submissions to see if one could be used.
> That one could.
>
> The logo chosen emphasizes the Linux connection (it has a penguin), but
> it is different enough from "Tux" that we can trademark it, and it has
> artistic merit.
>
> 	Thanks
>
> 	Bruce

                - Paul J Thompson

"A raccoon tangled with a 23,000 volt line today.  The results
blacked out 1400 homes and, of course, one raccoon."
                -- Steel City News