Re: Debian GNU/Linux Logo chosen

Hi!

It looks like some people are upset because of Bruce' decision regarding
the logo. So let me comment on this:

I started the logo page over a year ago since several people wanted to
have a logo for Debian to put on their web page, CD covers, etc. A lot of
people have submitted logos and we got lots of good critics through the
"feedback" pages.

Shortly before Debian 1.3 has been released, there was a discussion on
debian-private about if we should start a vote for the official Debian
logo based on the latest logo page. There was a wide consensus on
debian-private (that is, amoung the Debian developers) that we do not have
enough "logos" on the page to be able to start a vote.

With that, I realized that we would probably never get a decision directly
from the logo page. Only few logos have been improved and the new
submittions I received since then didn't contain new ideas. In addition,
the comments on the feedback pages showed that it's impossible to do a
"vote" on such a topic which is only about "aesthetics".

You'll always have 50% of people that like one logo and the other 50%
don't like that logo.

After several discussions with intrested peoples and after a discussion
with Bruce (on the Congress in Aachen) we agreed that the logo topic
should be decided not by all Debian developers but by a few intrested
ones. That's why Bruce asked the people on the debian-publicity list about
their comments on that logo and since noone objected it has finally been
chosen as the official logo for Debian GNU/Linux.

After all, I'm very happy that we finally had chosen a logo from the logo
page!

I've just updated the Logo home page at
   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/

Note, that I've fixed the official logo to read "Debian GNU/Linux".

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
Do you know         schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian GNU/Linux?    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.debian.org   http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/