Re: "purity" package

Hi folks!

I don't understand the purpose of this discussion. AFAIK, our goal is to
build and support a free operating system. This has nothing to do with
ethics or religion (excluding some editor discussions :-).

Thus, it has NOTHING to do with freedom of speech if the Debian project
decides not to distribute certain programs. In contrast, I think the
freedom actually gets lost if we have to distribute every package which is
introduced by any Debian maintainer.

Thus, I suggest that we set up a list of "critical" packages, that is, all
packages which "offend" some developers. With that, we could make a
maintainer poll. If, say, at least 20% of the developers are against a
package we should remove the package.

Let me start with such a list:

      purity (it's already been dropped, so we could remove it here)
      quake
      some files in the emacs package

The reason why I don't like quake to be in Debian: AFAIK, the
distribution of "DOOM" was forbidden by law in Germany. Since quake looks
similar to me (but I'm no export in this area) I'm afraid the same applies
to quake. Thus, I don't distribute quake on my CD-ROMs.

I don't have a problem with an editor called "sex", but if others have a
problem with that than we could add this to the list. As a "Christian", I
don't have a problem with the bible either, but I would agree that we drop
that package if others are "offended" by its presence.

Thanks,

Chris

--                 Christian Schwarz
                    schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Don't know Perl?     schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Visit                  PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
http://www.perl.com     http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/