Re: "purity" package

I'm very disturbed to see the recent controversy over this issue.
I've just gone and looked at the package, and it's simply a standard
collection of purity tests.  I have personally no objection to these
at all, and indeed like many people I've used such tests :-).

Furthermore, I have an EXTREMELY STRONG objection to the suggestion
that these files should be censored because some people find them
offensive.  I would have thought Americans net users particularly
would have learned this lesson by now.

Do you also want to withdraw the FAQs for sex and drugs-related
newsgroups ?  (I presume we have a FAQs package - we used to at one
point, anyway.)

Saying "free speech is fine but don't force me to be part of the
distribution of this stuff" is NOT good enough.  As a project we've
set out to provide people with information as well as just software -
numerous documentation-only packages exist.  To say that a particular
package which is more or less information-only should be excluded
because of its supposedly offensive content is to bind all 200 other
developers and the entire user community to your (or some other)
definition of offensive - precisely the kind of minority-driven
censorship of the entire community which we object to when governments
do it.

Remember too that you need an expensive piece of equipment, namely a
computer, to run Debian.  If parents give their offspring unlimited
access to such a system they obviously trust their offspring's own
judgment.  If they don't trust their offspring they shouldn't give
them unlimited access to their computer, and they shouldn't install
packages which they don't like.

If there are legal problems with some package then clearly we will
have to obey the relevant laws (and in some cases might even do so
willingly rather than unwillingly).  I don't think anyone has
produced a serious argument which suggests that this might be the case
with this package.

Ian.