Re: Debian GNU/Linux Logo chosen

> > Well, if the "normal" penguin is on there, people that already know the
> > penguin as the Linux mascot will at first identify this as a Linux related
> > thing.
> Unfortunately, we also need to distinguish our product from other similar
> products. This is difficult when any of them can use "Tux".

Doesn't this depend on what were picking? I mean, the jhe* pictures have a
penguin on them, but looking differently than the "official" one.

Also, I think synergies (like every LINUX distribution using the penguin)
also is a good thing. Linux gets articles in more and more mags each
month, and most of these articles feature a picture of the linux penguin,
partly the original pic, partly slightly modified ones (like the butterfly
catching penguin [picture catching --> scanning] on the SANE article in
the iX a month ago). Due to that, people that will get convinced to have a
look at linux by these articles will undoubtedly just walk to a bookstore
and pick the first linux distribution CD they'll find -- most likely that
will be one with a penguin, because the reader already knows the penguin
from the article(s) he read.

Due to that, the penguin can become the main identification point for a
potential new user. By picking a logo that doesn't contain an *EASY* to
recognize penguin, we might be losing on that front.

> Reading down from the high scorer, the one I see that includes an
> easily-recognizable and printable glyph that we could trademark is
> ge01. Then we get to si02.
[...]
> So, do you like ge01 more than si02? I don't like the glyphs as much,
> and there are two of them.

I honor your not liking this picture, but personally since we bothered to
put up a vote on that, I'd rather see ge01 taken, because more people
liked this one, than the si02.

Also, regarding your "I don't like glyphs", well - the voters seem to like
them. So it should be your role as a project leader (even if you're
passing it on to Ian now), to honor the peoples' will. So please, only
throw away logos that can't be used for *TECHNICAL* and/or *LEGAL* issues.
The rest was the decision of the voters. And for those pics, that you have
to decline, please supply the reasons, so we can all see those problems.
Those would really be nice to know, that none of us will later just fall
into the same trap when doing a logo for something else...

> I sincerely think I picked the highest scorer that would work.

But do you really think, that you picked the highest scorer that would
work *TECHNICALLY*/*LEGALLY*, or did you pick the highest possible that
you like? (Absolutely no offence meant here!)
Admitting that ge01 also might be acceptable points to the latter...
But then - which others are acceptable, and why aren't the others.
Also - is it really BAD for us, not to use the penguin?

  Benedikt

Windows 95: n.
    32-bit extensions and a graphical shell for a 16-bit patch to an 8-bit
    operating system originally coded for a 4-bit microprocessor,  written
         by a 2-bit company that can't stand for 1 bit of competition.