Re: I'm back

> > > What about the basic problem that time spent backporting to libc5
> > > is time not spent on getting hamm finished?
> >
> > If I recall correctly, it is optional for developers to backport their
> > packages to libc5. I suspect there will be mostly non-maintainer
> > releases in this directory.
>
> I'll create it, but we might need some small policy for it:

Hi.

> It's optional for maintainers to upload libc5 versions of their
> packages.  They are certainly allowed to ignore and close bug reports
> asking them to do so.

Sure.

> If a non-maintainer uploads a libc5 version, they MUST change the
> maintainer of the package to their own name.

I guess I understand why you proposed that.  Nevertheless I think that
it is not reasonable. Substantial part of bug reports against
libc5-backported packages would be common to both libc5/libc6 releases.
And since libc5 packages would probably be used by greater number of
users (at least for a couple of months), ther will be more bug reports
against libc5 packages than against their libc6 counterparts.
And the original maintainer is probably the best person to deal with them.

If you like, we could have a policy that original maintainer may close
any bug reports against libc5-backported packages if s/he feels like it.
In additions, I gues we already have some "gentlemen rules" on
non-maintainer releases. I guess noone would upload a package without
first asking the original maintainer.

Thanks.

Alex Y.

--