Re: There is no leadership vaccumm.

On Mon, 8 Dec 1997, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 08, 1997 at 10:28:21AM +0100, Christian Schwarz wrote:
> >   2. Cutting down the number of developers to a reasonable amount again.
> >
> >      (Some people call this "core" system. Note, that the suggestion does
> > _not_ mean to that the core team will be a closed group. The development
> > will still be open and everyone will have the possibility to join the
> > team. Only the _number of people_ will be limited.)
>
> Can you explain why a large number of developers is a bad thing?
> I'm sure that many of the reasonably new Debian developers (including
> myself) are feeling a bit offended by some of these comments of late.
> If you want me to get lost, just say the word ..

Oh no, I didn't say I don't like newbies! Let me explain the reason
for my proposal:

How is our project organized? We have about 150 package maintainers, and
one project leader. Inbetween, there are the managers. I don't know how
many managers there are "officially" chosen, but if you look around you
will not see many people just doing the coordination. (Those that think
we don't need such "managers" don't know how much time it costs to hold
email discussions, write summaries, etc. For example, I needed several
months to get a consensus about how to treat dpkg-perl and how it can be
used for the tetex-* packages.)

So actually, we don't have much "organization". The current organization
only works fine with a few developers. Perhaps we'll find a way to improve
our organization in the future, and then we could think of getting more
developers again.

Hope this answers your question. If not, ask me again.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                     schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com,
Debian has a logo!    schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

Check out the logo     PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA
pages at  http://fatman.mathematik.tu-muenchen.de/~schwarz/debian-logo/