Re: There is no leadership vaccumm.

On 8 Dec 1997, Guy Maor wrote:

> Your problem, Christian, is that you're just too nice.  Bruce
> sometimes suffers from the same problem.
>
> It's very easy to rule by fiat.  You just do it.  If people disagree
> with you, you listen to them for a bit to see if they have any good
> ideas.  If it turns out that they don't, you ignore them.

This is correct, but it only works if you have the support of the project
leader (and then, it's still not what I would call "fun"). I think I had
Bruce' support, but I have great doubts that I have Ian's. (I'm not
talking about private mails--there haven't been any--but about public
mails. Just check out the email archives about his reactions to the logo
discussion, "purity", and some of the recent policy discussions.)

If you get criticized from above _and_ below, than the only possible
decision is to quit.

[snip]
> Christian Schwarz <schwarz@monet.m.isar.de> writes:
> > _It's unacceptable to me that a project leader, who doesn't have much
> > time himself, spends the little time he has for making the job
> > harder for his managers._
>
> Unfortunately Ian is a perfectionist, not a pragmatist.  He did have
> some good (and some awful) ideas in his platform though.  Chief among
> his good ideas is that we should lower the responsibilities of the
> project leader.  Currently the leader is the arbitrator for
> everything, and there's lots of things that need arbitration.  The
> leader should appoint managers, each of which has absolute authority
> over their domain.

This is not enough. He has to define a direction for the project, too. I
simply don't agree with Ian's proposals to solve our current problems. (We
don't need less organization, but more.)

> > The past has shown me clearly that this "aid" will only be objections when
> > you did something wrong ("wrong" in the eyes of the comittee or the
> > project leader). Compared to the time committement of the policy manager
> > and the new project leader, this is an unacceptable situation for me.
>
> No, that won't be the case.  The technical comittee will help you
> write the policy because you will have appointed them.  If one of
> technical comittee members becomes hot-headed, fire him.  Is this a
> cabal?  Maybe.  People that form a cabal are interested in getting
> things done, not talking about getting things done.

It looks like we have different ideas of the "comittee". Perhaps Ian could
explain to us how he wants the organization to be.

> >   1. Splitting the archive into one "basic" part and several "add-ons".
> >   2. Cutting down the number of developers to a reasonable amount again.
>
> Little did you realize, this has already happened.  Make a list in
> your head of the core developers.  Now make a list of the important
> packages in the system.  Funny, the same people are on both lists.

My idea differs from that: I want to have guidelines about which packages
we (as a project) distribute and which not. From the responses on the
"purity" discussion, I think I'm the only one who sees a need for that
(including Bruce, but he changed his mind after the discussion). I
strongly object to include _every_ piece of software. If we cannot make
such guidelines, than we are in big troubles. (I don't say that "extra"
software shouldn't be packaged up in .debs. However, the Debian _project_
does not have to distribute everything.)

I'd really prefer to hear Ian's opinion on all this. Everything would be a
lot easier if he would tell us what he really wants to do.

Thanks,

Chris

--                  Christian Schwarz
                   schwarz@monet.m.isar.de, schwarz@schwarz-online.com
                  schwarz@debian.org, schwarz@mathematik.tu-muenchen.de

                PGP-fp: 8F 61 EB 6D CF 23 CA D7  34 05 14 5C C8 DC 22 BA

 CS Software goes online! Visit our new home page at
 	                                     http://www.schwarz-online.com