Re: Logo license

On 17 Dec 1997 bruce@va.debian.org wrote:

> I think Red Hat doesn't let you use their logo if you are cloning their
> CD - they save it for their own product. I wonder what we should do?
That's a little out of the spirit of Debian,  I'd think.

> For example, would it make sense to say you have to have the Official
> CDs in a product to carry the logo on that product? Considering the low
Certainly.  We want the logo to be associated with what _we_ produce (and
its verbatim copies),  not with some derivation someone else has produced
that may or may not be in any way useable or related to the project.

Also,  we might be able to excersise some sort of project control over
its use on things like books ... putting a copy of the Debian Bird
(penguin?) on the Debian Book,  for example,  could imply to some people
that we approve of its contents.  I'm not saying that we do or don't,
just that people might percieve that we'd passed judgment on things
carrying our "signature".

                     					Will

|             harpo@udel.edu lowe@cis.udel.edu lowe@debian.org           |
|			http://www.cis.udel.edu/~lowe/		         |
|            Float away here with me an evening just wait and see,       |
|          But tomorrow go back to your man -- I'm back to my world      |
|                       And we're back to being friends.                 |
|                Wait and see me,  Tonight let's do this thing.          |
|      All we are is wasting hours; until the sun comes up it's all ours |
|                               On our way here                          |
|                       Tomorrow back to being friends.                  |
|                              - Dave Matthews                           |