Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

[ Please don't Cc: me when replying to my message on a mailing list. ]

Ian Jackson:
> Red Hat probably think these are just overcomplications, however, it
> is these features that allow us to do an in-place and/or partial
> upgrade without taking the system right down to do it.

This sounds conclusive, though a more detailed argument would
be nice (something for the FAQ, perhaps). Especially examples
of situations where dpkg works better than RPM. (Ian: I'm not
asking you do this, but it would be nice to have it, I'm sure
you'll agree.)

The next step would then be to improve dselect. I'm afraid I
have to decline that one, since I will start working for real
again in January (and, besides, I _hate_ writing full screen
terminal interfaces under Unix -- there are _way_ too many
unnecessary complications).

Perhaps it would be worthwhile to help Red Hat adopt dpkg
instead? A single package management tool _is_ a good goal.
Are we up to it?

Even if we can't merge dpkg and RPM, we might want to co-operate
more with Red Hat (and other distributions, and the BSD camp).
For example, having an excellent documentation system based
on HTML (dwww, or something better) would help everyone. Our
open bug tracking system is very nice. I hear Red Hat has a
nicer version of Fvwm ("The Next Level"?). The BSD community has
tools for and experience with a central CVS repository for their
complete, unified source code tree. FreeBSD seems to be able to
do releases on schedule; we might benefit from their experiences
with organizing a freeware project. I've heard unconfirmed
rumours that the BSD community would like a better packaging
tool as well. _Everyone_ and their mother would like a good GUI
sysadmin tool: something that lets inexperienced people manage
their system, but which experienced people can completely ignore.

There are plenty more examples.

Do we have contacts? I met Jonathan Bresler (FreeBSD) and
Charles Hannum (NetBSD) at EurOpen.SE at the end of October.
Especially Bresler was eager for co-operation (he brought the
subject up). I could mail them.