Re: Is it time to abandon Dpkg?

I'm a real *new*comer here (modconf), but I'd like to add my
opinion.I did a lot of evaluation before selecting Debian. Some
of the winning reasons were: fine-grained modularity, start-stop
installation, partial ftp upgrades, dedication to the free
volunteer philosophy, (of course, there's much more).

I've never had severe problems with dselect, but yes, as a user
interface, it could be improved. Much of the problems listed by
users (that I've read lately) seem to relate to dependencies that
haven't been thoroughly worked out before release. This is why I'm
still running 2.0.6 (gasp) until the dust settles. Would an improved
method of clearing dependencies between developers help? (e.g., I
run cron, but don't run mail. Every time I use deselect I have to
deselect the mail pgms auto selection and override to retain cron.)

If Debian is superior now (it is), then an improved deselect system
would only make Debian more attractive, and make new converts.
And yes, I belive that the interface should be curses-based, X can
come later. Better to boot a system with the basics, work out the
bugs, then add X.

Bottom line - stick with .deb; improve deselect interface (and better
docs?); add rpm input ability; do optional X deselect interface.

JMHO, Best Regards to all, JohnT
<!--
	Life is non-orthogonal and big endian.