12.15.08

Benchmark: Ballnux is Fat

Posted in GNU/Linux, SLES/SLED, Ubuntu at 6:08 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Steve Ballmer rides SUSE
Stevie and SUEsie

Phoronix tests show that SUSE is the fattest among all.

What we gathered from these tests conducted on the Intel Atom desktop was that Ubuntu 8.10 was generally the fastest distribution. OpenSuSE 11.1 RC1 on the other hand was in last place most frequently.

Why would anyone choose SLES/SLED 11 over the competition, which is likely to be lighter and more agile?

1. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 6:22 am

Nice leap from “unreleased/beta version of OpenSUSE” to “SLES/SLED”, Roy…

2. Jo Shields said,

December 15, 2008 at 6:25 am

Wasn’t he complaining because the fastest supercomputers in the world ran SLED, as per top500?

December 15, 2008 at 6:30 am

The fastest one runs Red Hat.

4. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 6:35 am

Which is everything to do with the OS and nothing to do with the hardware, natch :D

5. Jo Shields said,

December 15, 2008 at 6:43 am

Not an enormous shock. IBM’s xCAT management stack is all RH-based

December 15, 2008 at 6:48 am

HPC is not the point anyway.

7. Jo Shields said,

December 15, 2008 at 6:51 am

The point of what?

December 15, 2008 at 6:54 am

This post. The point I was making is that a release that’s just days away (I can’t imagine it contains much debugging code) is slower than equivalent counterparts and it’s the basis for Novell’s open source crown jewel, SLE.

9. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 7:01 am

@Roy: “the release” isn’t slower, a couple of benchmarks are: Sunflow and Sqlite. In all other tests, all the distros performed basically the same.

And at least the Sqlite result is explained by ext3 barriers, which is a feature, not a bug.

December 15, 2008 at 7:05 am

They are anatomically similar. There is not the expectation to find much discernible difference, but where it does exist, OpenSUSE is behind.

11. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 7:09 am

@Roy: sorry, but nonsense.

The Sqlite test is slow for one reason: it does systematic INSERT without placing the script in an sql transaction. That will be slow, because Sqlite guarantees that each individual insert statement hits the disk.

Why is OpenSUSE slow? Because it uses a more modern sqlite and disk FS, and the “fast” distros are open to potential data loss. Is it actually slow? No, because any real application would put those INSERTs in a transaction.

I know Sqlite very well, and I’ve read the Phoronix test code. Your attempt to interpret these results for me won’t wash, sorry. OpenSuse isn’t slow here, it’s actually doing things right.

December 15, 2008 at 7:16 am

There are more benchmarks where OpenSUSE loses. Watch all the pages of the article.

13. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 7:19 am

I did read them all. Sunflow is the only other one it loses out in a big way.

And y’know, that could just be a bug, which could be fixed, like those other distros who’ve been released for a while and received much wider testing….

December 15, 2008 at 7:52 am

The differences in other tests are still pretty considerable.

15. Jo Shields said,

December 15, 2008 at 8:11 am

Even the ones where Fedora is worst?

16. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 8:16 am

@Roy: it’s slightly slower in some test which require disk i/o, it’s slightly faster in tests which use OpenGL.

I just think it’s remarkable that you feel very comfortable drawing conclusions where the people actually running the tests say they won’t. It would have been fairer to them to quote them properly, not just the bits you liked.

December 15, 2008 at 8:25 am

Michael is always careful not to show bias. Let’s wait and see what happens when OpenSUSE goes GM.

18. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 8:44 am

@Roy: you’re still making the assumption that the benchmark shows distro problems.

It doesn’t matter whether OpenSUSE is GM or not with regards to the Sqlite benchmark; it won’t “improve” and I’ve shown you why.

And let’s say disk i/o is slower because of the write barriers. That doesn’t make OpenSUSE “fatter” either.

It’s really unfortunate that you attempt to write off the good work of the OpenSUSE community like this. They’re producing an up-to-date and interesting distribution, and even if you don’t use it, Ubuntu and Fedora (and others) would be less advanced without it. Shame.

December 15, 2008 at 8:48 am

This contradicts your first comment

20. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 8:52 am

Good grief. Really sad that I have to spell this out: the Sqlite benchmark is slow because Sqlite is waiting for the hard disk.

That has nothing to do with your claims about SLED/SLES which you obviously cannot backup.

21. Jo Shields said,

December 15, 2008 at 8:54 am

How are the two comments even remotely related?

December 15, 2008 at 8:56 am

AlexH,

It’s nothing to do with Sqlite. It loses in several other tests too.

Face it. OpenSUSE (RC) is fat, other are fast. Unless you can come up with other tests, the fact remains.

23. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 9:02 am

Roy, you keep moving the goalposts. First it’s my SQLite comment is ‘contradictory’, then “it’s nothing to do with Sqlite”.

You’re losing the argument. You’re drawing conclusions from some raw data, and the people running the test say explicitly that they’re not willing to draw definitive conclusions.

I’ve shown you an example where the benchmark suite is showing a difference which you would expect, and is not a bug, and is not OpenSUSE being “fat”.

OpenSUSE is faster and slower on other tests, and there’s a disk i/o issue which is explained by the ext3 write barriers. Again, not “fat”.

Your conclusion is faulty because your data don’t support it. Your “facts” are your interpretation.

December 15, 2008 at 9:06 am

No, the only reasoning Michael gives is the stage of the release (RC). He hardly ever draws any potentially discriminatory conclusions.

25. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 9:08 am

Ok, so we’ll just ignore all those problems with the benchmark that I raised, because we must have results which fit our conclusion!

Thank goodness for the scientific method.

December 15, 2008 at 9:11 am

Hmm, perhaps Roy should read the article. Michael has noted that the openSUSE 11.1 might be slower in a bunch of the categories because of debugging options turned on due to it being a pre-release.

December 15, 2008 at 9:10 am

PTS is no gold standard but a de facto one. I correspond with Michael sometimes, so I’ll point him to your suggestions.

December 15, 2008 at 9:13 am

Yes, I noted this earlier.

29. AlexH said,

December 15, 2008 at 9:19 am

I can’t imagine it contains much debugging code

Interesting way of noting debugging options may be turned on :D

Look, the benchmark results are interesting and all, and although I’m sure the benchmark can be improved (and I’m willing to help Michael with that, tell him) what is it really saying? It’s saying that stuff changes.

You can go through every distro and there will be issues here and there. Benchmarks are good for showing areas which may need improvement (or, at least, knowing how things are changing – e.g. write barriers), but they’re not good indicators of the quality of a distro.

December 15, 2008 at 9:21 am

These samples of work are the least one can use to compare.

31. Diamond Wakizashi said,

December 15, 2008 at 11:11 am

Don’t expect quality from Microsoft or it’s nasty Novell subsidiary.

32. neighborlee said,

December 15, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Why anyone would use a distribution that knowingly protects ‘only’ its usersbase from a monopolistic , known linux hating company whom also dove into the gutter by pushing their ‘power’ behind ooXML, is obvious in that not enough people know about it and those that do are confused by those who would obfuscate the facts for their own ends .

Thankfully the greater open source community was built around ideals entrenched in fairness , equalty and a ‘one for all’ ideology which in the end will rescue its users from the proverbial grips of Microsoft and its legions who obviously have no interest in said goals .

33. Slated said,

December 16, 2008 at 4:29 am

Watching all these Microsoft/Novell fanboys squeal is hilarious.

SUSE = FAIL.

Get over it and move on … preferably to something better, and untainted by the Vole.

34. Jo Shields said,

December 16, 2008 at 5:14 am

“Fanboy” is a convenient word, but one usually relegated to squealing brats arguing about their favourite Pokemon.

Are you really at that level? “Yuo are teh dum coz u like charmander lolololo”? No? The drop shit like “fanboy” now.

35. Slated said,

December 17, 2008 at 1:23 pm

‘“Fanboy” is a convenient word’

Yes – the most convenient aspect is that in this case it happens to be true. If you want to describe yourself as a squealing brat, then go right ahead, but I simply meant to imply that you are blinded to the truth by your irrational loyalty to something harmful.

Prove me wrong by switching to a less-tainted development platform that doesn’t support Microsoft’s anti-Linux agenda.

As for your AOL-speak gibberish, you’ll have to translate that for me.

“drop shit like “fanboy” now”.

You drop shit like .Net/Mono now.

36. jo Shields said,

December 17, 2008 at 2:50 pm

Did you REALLY just use “I know you are but what am I”?

Kids -_-

December 17, 2008 at 2:57 pm

At least he passed the profanity filter. No s*.

38. Slated said,

December 18, 2008 at 10:43 pm

‘Did you REALLY just use “I know you are but what am I”?’

No, I challenged the prudence of you supporting Microsoft’s anti-Linux agenda with their encumbered development framework, and you completely failed to respond to that challenge, presumably because you can’t.

39. jo Shields said,

December 19, 2008 at 2:22 am

OR, alternatively, I don’t give a poopie what you think; don’t see the world through the same twisted spectrum; and have no interest in going “ZOMG YUOR RITE!” and stopping my packaging work on a set of interesting Free Software projects.

December 19, 2008 at 4:18 am

If it was asked more politely, would that make a difference?

41. neighborlee said,

December 19, 2008 at 3:05 pm

@Jo
    Really now,,your childish outbursts leave you with zero credibility, thus you have lost your entire arguement.

I appreciate that though , because you just show what a pathetic arguement machine the mono supporters are embracing ;)

cheers ;)
    nl

42. jo Shields said,

December 19, 2008 at 3:24 pm

If it was asked more politely, would that make a difference?

Sure. As I’ve said before, I’ve had productive and informative discussions with mature & adult Mono critics before. There are none on this site though. Especially not Slated or neighborlee or yourself.

Sorry, that’s not how Godwin’s Law works. And perhaps you don’t understand what an “outburst” is. I’ve thus-far resisted any such thing – although perhaps not according to your broken behavioural compass, I’m pretty sure I’m well placed to say what is & isn’t an outburst where I’m involved. I’m good at spotting them.

Yeah, because that’s really the point of this little sidetrack, honest. Yep. Yes siree. And the point of this (debunked) article, too. Yep, that’s definitely it, it’s “a pathetic arguement machine”. Right, yeah, sure.

Imagine a world where I give even a fraction of a poopie what you think. Hold on to that thought, as it only exists in your mind.

December 19, 2008 at 4:13 pm

Who ever mentioned Godwin’s Law?

44. Slated said,

December 20, 2008 at 5:09 pm

@jo Shields

“I don’t give a poopie what you think”

Well you obviously do, otherwise you wouldn’t keep responding.

‘Really, you think “You drop shit like .Net/Mono now.” is going to elicit ANYTHING more than utter contempt?’

You mean like ‘drop shit like “fanboy” now’?

A FOSS traitor *and* a hypocrite. It gets worse.

45. jo Shields said,

December 20, 2008 at 6:18 pm

Well you obviously do, otherwise you wouldn’t keep responding.

Yeah, you got me. As I lay there at night under my Microsoft bedsheets, cuddled up to my plushie Steve Ballmer, all I can think about is what some guy with an angry blog thinks about me.

It’s tough to imagine life if you weren’t my friend :’(

You mean like ‘drop shit like “fanboy” now’?

Don’t use words if you don’t understand what they mean. It’s pretty clear you don’t.

A FOSS traitor *and* a hypocrite. It gets worse.

Oh yeah, I love betrayin’ things. It’s like heroin to me.

December 20, 2008 at 7:13 pm

Let’s discuss this without catfighting. We can reach conclusions together. Tomorrow I’ll write about GIMP being threatened by a patent lawsuit.

47. jo Shields said,

December 20, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Tomorrow I’ll write about GIMP being threatened by a patent lawsuit.

It has? Shit, from whom?

That’s news that is!

As for the original post: 1 known upstream bug (which affects only intel hardware and also affects other distros such as Ubuntu 9.04), and one feature; I don’t see either as meaning an unreleased SLES (which isn’t even being benchmarked here) is “fat”, despite your suggestion.

December 20, 2008 at 7:28 pm

That’s news that is!

It’s not news, but a case of C&D that was kept quiet, AFAIK.

BTW, I hope to convince you guys, not to confront.

I’ll post about it mañana. I’m too tired and I’ve been out drinking for two nights in a row.

49. Slated said,

December 20, 2008 at 11:00 pm

@jo Shields

Your sarcasm notwithstanding, you are nonetheless betraying the principles of Free Software by supporting Microsoft’s Intellectual Monopoly, and the fact that the only argument you have to defend that position is vacuous sarcasm indicates you have already accepted that position is fundamentally indefensible, but you think that peppering this thread with your juvenile commentary will somehow distract others from that fact, and dissuade me from speaking the truth.

Guess again.

50. MonkeeSage said,

December 21, 2008 at 1:41 am

[quote]…you are nonetheless betraying the principles of Free Software by supporting Microsoft’s Intellectual [b]Mono[/b]poly…[/quote]

Then GNU / FSF are also betraying the principles of Free Software, since they have their own C#-to-CLI compiler, CLR, and CLI disassembler, just like the mono project (and you can target pnet from monodevelop, BTW).

But…that must be some kind of fluke…RMS hasn’t really jumped into bed with the Evil Empire, has he?!

“Our main goal is to make it easy to write portable application programs which work well both on DotGNU Portable.NET [b]and on Microsoft’s .NET platform[/b].”[1]

Oh, cruel fate! Nothing is sacred anymore! Now we all need to boycott GNU! Immediately uninstall coreutils, GCC, and all other GNU software! We can’t support software released by a monopoly-supporting hater of freedom like the FSF! (My irony-meter has spontaneously combusted, and is smoldering in the corner).

____
    [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/pnet.html

51. MonkeeSage said,

December 21, 2008 at 2:51 am

Ps. I love how Novell is so tight with Microsoft they make viral marketing campaigns trashing Vista (http://youtube.com/watch?v=GVOnFdMf0RU — “p-leather”, heh).

52. MonkeeSage said,

December 21, 2008 at 2:54 am

Oops…original comment got lost…repost:

Our main goal is to make it easy to write portable application programs which work well both on DotGNU Portable.NET and on Microsoft’s .NET platform.[1]

____
    [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/pnet.html

53. MonkeeSage said,

December 21, 2008 at 2:55 am

Oops…original comment got lost…repost:

“…you are nonetheless betraying the principles of Free Software by supporting Microsoft’s Intellectual Monopoly…”

“Our main goal is to make it easy to write portable application programs which work well both on DotGNU Portable.NET and on Microsoft’s .NET platform.”[1]

____
    [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/pnet.html

54. MonkeeSage said,

December 21, 2008 at 2:55 am

Oops…original comment got lost…repost:

____
    [1] http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/pnet.html

55. MonkeeSage said,

December 21, 2008 at 2:57 am

Oops…original comment got lost…repost:

December 21, 2008 at 4:36 am

He encouraged against developing in .NET. Novell promotes it..

57. jo Shields said,

December 21, 2008 at 5:09 am

He encouraged against developing in .NET. Novell promotes it..

And if pnet only included a runtime, that might hold water.

But the existence of a compiler rather changes things, doesn’t it?

58. Slated said,

December 28, 2008 at 4:45 am

@ The spamming idiot called MonkeeSage

Ref: DotGNU:

AFAIAC DotGNU is just yet another implementation of Microsoft’s .Net technology, so yes … I do still advise people to refrain from using it, or any other encumbered Microsoft technology, wherever possible.

I support Linux (the kernel), but that does not mean I agree with everything Torvalds says (Torvalds: “I think Tivoization is *good*“). Equally I support Free Software, but that doesn’t mean I agree with everything Stallman says either. IMHO Stallman’s support of encumbered Microsoft technology via DotGNU, is a serious mistake.

59. Slated said,

December 28, 2008 at 5:05 am

@Jo Shields

I believe “congratulations” are in order, since apparently you’ve just succeeded in poisoning Debian with Moonlight too.

Will you be joining that other FOSS traitor, Miguel de Icaza, at the next Microsoft Developers Conference, to discuss the terms of a cross-licensing “deal” with Debian, so they can purchase some Peace of Mind®, or will you just recommend they skip straight to the litigation phase to “cut off [Debian's] air supply”?

I wonder how Debian users are going to circumvent this legal requirement for only obtaining Moonlight as direct ‘Downstream Recipients‘ from Novell? Is Novell and Microsoft planning to merge Debian into their FOSS-assimilation portfolio?

At the rate Microsoft is assimilating Linux (with your eager assistance of course), I’d be as well giving up and buying a Mac.

Thanks for your “help”.

1. Links 25/05/2022: ‘V Rising’ on GNU/Linux and Pearl Linux OS 11

2. Links 25/05/2022: Librem Tries Another Approach

3. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, May 24, 2022

IRC logs for Tuesday, May 24, 2022

4. Links 24/05/2022: nginx-1.22.0 and WordPress 6.0

5. [Meme] Divine Protection

You won’t find Monopoly Tony (António Campinos) wearing a mask at the EPO because the rules of the Office do not apply to him

6. António Campinos and the Alicante Clique (EPO Management, Appointed Based on Nepotism Despite Lack of Qualifications) Nowadays Exploiting Kids for PR Charades

The sick old habit of exploiting kids for Public Relations (PR) and marketing purposes is all too common at the EPO (they’re constantly exploiting “the children” to associate criticism of the EPO with demeaning the young and innocent), but the management — which enjoys nepotism and immunity rather than relevant skills — carries on today and it’s being called “inaugural”

7. [Meme] Snake on a Plane

The EPO‘s President ‘Monopoly Tony’ (António Campinos), whom you never see wearing a mask (none of the photo ops; he does not even socially distance himself from peers, he wears sneakers instead of masks) during the height of a pandemic, is the "f***ing president"; don’t tell him to wear one…

8. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part XX — Entering Phase II

We're about to resume the long-running series about the sick clique which ran GitHub until the assault on women became too much of a liability (among other wrongdoings and PR blunders)

9. Links 24/05/2022: Fedora 37 Test Days and Tor Browser 11.0.13

10. Microsoft Vidal, as USPTO Director, Already Plays 'Political Cards' to Disguise and Deflect Away From the Corporate Agenda

Microsoft Vidal, another corporate pawn in charge of the world’s most dangerous patent system, is using soft-spoken defle

11. Links 24/05/2022: WAL-G 2.0

12. IRC Proceedings: Monday, May 23, 2022

IRC logs for Monday, May 23, 2022

13. Unethical Advertising, Published as So-called 'Articles', in CNX Software

As we noted earlier this year, the CNX team is looking for money in the wrong places

14. Links 23/05/2022: Broadcom to Buy VMware?

15. LibreOffice Conference 2022, As Before, Puts the Keynotes on Sale (the Rich Buy Influence, the Price Doubles)

Discrimination against the community; talks and mentions are based on money, not merit ($2000 has become $4000 in just one year)

16. Links 23/05/2022: Kdenlive 22.04.1 and New Alpine Linux Released

17. António Campinos Promotes Software Patents Using Buzzwords and Sketchy Loopholes With Dubious Legal Basis

‘Monopoly Tony’ (António Campinos) is shamelessly manipulating EPO processes at both ends (sender and receiver) to facilitate the illegal granting of invalid European software patents; we’re meant to think this former EU official and imposter (banker) is some guru in the sciences because he reads a lousy speech crafted for him with lots of meaningless buzzwords peppered all over it (he’s not good at reading it, either)

18. [Meme] Jorgotta Be Kidding Us, Campinos!

Monopoly Tony (António Campinos) runs the EPO by attacking the very legal basis of the EPO’s existence

19. Unified Patent Court (UPC) Relies Too Much on Lies and Mischief Without Any Basis in Law

Today’s video runs through the typical (weekly) lies from Team UPC — lies that are very easy to debunk; Team UPC not only drafted the thing but also looks to profit from it while misleading politicians and bribing publishers to spread intentionally misleading statements (lies)

20. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, May 22, 2022

IRC logs for Sunday, May 22, 2022

21. Links 23/05/2022: Fedora 36 Reviewed

22. [Meme] It's My Working Party... And I'll Cry If I Want to!

EPO President António Campinos is still not being held accountable for his Code of Conduct violations

23. Links 22/05/2022: The 5.18 Kernel is Out

24. Gemini is Bigger Than Most People Care to Realise

Geminispace has gotten to the point where it's too computationally expensive (or outright pricey) to study, let alone keep abreast of, Gemini capsules or the domain space as a whole

25. Links 22/05/2022: Rock64 and Peppermint OS Release

26. [Meme] UPC is Always Next Year (and Next Year It'll Surely be the Year After That)

The UPC will come “next year”, just like every year (since almost a decade ago) just because the lunatic promises so and crushes the law, quite frankly as usual, cusioned and protected by the UPC lobby

27. UPC: Turning Patent Lawyers Into Liars and the Media Into Their Money-Grabbing Megaphone (Platform for Fake News)

The above 26 screenshots (with necessary annotation added) hopefully illuminate the degree of deceit, manipulation, bribery and distortion of public discourse (fake news and advocacy of patently unlawful activities)

28. Number of Working/Online Gemini Capsules, Known to Totally Legit Gemini Search (TLGS) and to Lupa, Exceeds 2,500

Assuming that Lupa reduced its crawling capacity (this graph seems to confirm this), we’ve decided to aggregate data from 3 sources and assess the size of Geminispace; Lupa says it can see 1,947 active capsules, but there are many more it has not kept track of

29. [Meme] Monopoly Tony

The gentlest, kindest president the EPO ever had

30. It Took Campinos Three or More Years to Undo Illegal Battistelli Actions on Boards of Appeal and Strike Regulations (Only After Losing at ILO-AT!), But He Does Not Mention That

Let’s all remember that as the EPO‘s so-called ‘President’ António Campinos (Monopoly Tony) vigorously defended completely unlawful actions of Benoît Battistelli until courts compelled him to stop doing that (Strike Regulations); notice how, in the video above — a portion of this full clip from several months ago — he did not bother mentioning that for 3.5 years that he had “led” the Office the Boards of Appeal were in exile, in direct violation of the EPC, yet nobody is being held accountable for it