Try again next year
The Zune is another matter. Apple’s lead is too large. The Zune is not a product which is terribly different from its competition.
Microsoft can simply say it does not want to take a bath on the Zune while it is taking a more intelligent risk with Xbox profitability.
Kill the Zune. Save some money.
Steve Ballmer calls “Zune” a funny product because the company has not figured out how to actually make money out of it. Like many other products, it only helps Microsoft bleed cash and generate press releases.
Also related to this:
- Zune Guy calls Microsoft ‘liars,’ says Zune situation is ‘f***ing bulls**t’
- Zune Guy Rant Against Microsoft and Zune no Longer Available
- Zune absent from Microsoft exec’s speech
- The beginning of the end for the Microsoft Zune
- Zuneral this Saturday!
- GameStop to Stop Zune Sales
- From Vista to Zune: Why Microsoft Can’t Sell to Consumers
- Zune Sales Still In the Toilet
- Microsoft May Build a Copyright Cop Into Every Zune
- Microsoft says Zune executive will leave company [article removed]
- Dancing Ballmer subjected to Zune dance therapy
- A Legitimate Reason to Hate the Zune (And Microsoft Too)
Is the following news the public relations disaster that’s the last nail on the Zune’s coffin?
Right, so this is a weird one: we’re getting tons of reports—tons—about failing Zune 30s. Apparently, the players began freezing at about midnight last night, becoming totally unresponsive and practically useless.
The crisis has been dubbed by Zune users ‘Y2K9′, due to the apparently synchronized faceplantings across the country. According to tipster Michael, the Zune users experienced something like this:
Microsoft’s responded to the Zune 30GB failure, blaming a leap-year handling bug. And they’ve provided a fix. Which is to wait til New Years, when the bug will go away by itself. Huh.
Some products speak for themselves by performing and earning a reputation. As Service Pack 1 of Vista and Windows Home Server prove, not even enormous marketing budgets (exceeding a billion dollars per annum) can turn a dud into a winner. █
Tom Davis took this photo of a Zune which was smashed in anger