02.24.09

Novell Enables Microsoft Distributions

Posted in GNU/Linux, Microsoft, Mono, Novell at 6:14 am by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

MIGUEL de Icaza is gloating over something called CoyoteLinux, which has been obscure. He claims that it chose Mono for administration tools.

Interesting find: Coyote Linux -a firewall in a box- configuration of Linux is using Mono and ASP.NET for its admin tools.

While de Icaza wants to portray this as an example of developers choosing Mono, it’s important to understand why such choices are made. Here is a post from the person behind this project, who already has an interest in Windows. He writes: “I am currently working to get a test cluster online using Windows 2008 Datacenter x64 with SQL2005 Enterprise x64.”

It seems safe to suggest that many of those who choose Mono tend to favour Microsoft technologies in general and to begin with. “Also, it’s tied to MSVC, which is definitely not FOSS,” points out Balrog.

This is not a safe route to take.

What Novell does with Mono was explained by Charles Hixson yesterday. To quote a portion:

So the Novell agreement with MS didn’t offer the community ANY protection. They just pretended that it did. That was the foundation of my distrust of Novell. It also allowed Novell to slip MS technologies into it’s code without danger to itself (as long as it adhered to certain practices…unless the secret parts meant that it didn’t even need to do that). So the only people in danger were the ones who used Novell systems to build their code. Or otherwise adopted the MS technologies which Novell suddenly started pushing more actively.

There is a safe to test to apply whenever Mono is chosen; Is it chosen for merits, for familiarity (existing habits) or for tendencies going in Microsoft's favour?

Nomo

1. Victor Soliz said,

February 24, 2009 at 10:59 am

The guy needs Visual Studio 2008 to deploy Linux apps sounds like Icaza’s and MS’ joint dream come true.

2. HH said,

February 24, 2009 at 12:56 pm

Another propaganda from this guy…

Get a life man, I mean it.

3. Needs Sunlight said,

February 25, 2009 at 3:43 am

@HH: de Icaza hasn’t gotten a life during the last decade, he’s not about to suddenly go out and get one now. Really the bes thing he could do now, is just withdraw from computing all together.

4. Joshua Jackson said,

February 25, 2009 at 5:19 am

I don’t need VS2008 to deploy Linux apps. If you take the time to read over my initial comments or look over the past history of Coyote Linux (which goes back to 1998), I have always supported a mixed environment for both my development and the software I offer.

Coyote Linux, which has well in excess of 2 million downloads, has from day one included support for both Windows and Linux for the purposes of setting up the Linux system.

My reasons for using Mono are detailed here: http://coyotelinux.com/2009/01/coyote-linux-design-philosophies/

I am using mono because I work in, develop for and support multi OS environments. Take Windows out of my day to day life and I couldn’t pay my bills… and, no, I don’t lose any sleep over it.

One item not mentioned in the blog post is that I have always used a cross platform language as part of my development process. Prior to Coyote Linux 4, my development efforts have always included Delphi / Object Pascal and PHP. Delphi was used for both the Windows configuration utilities and was used to create binaries for Linux. I initially used Borland Kylix, but when they dropped support for the product, I went searching for another cross-platform option. I settled on C#. Like it or not, that is what I prefer to code in and provides me with RAD (rapid application development) that works for both Linux and Windows.

I manage several Linux and Windows based servers. When properly managed, both OS’s prove to be very reliable and perform very well for the tasks I choose them for. The fact that people can’t or are too lazy to take the time to learn how to manage and maintain the equipment they are using does not deter me from using something myself.

I am a Linux distro author, but I am not a zealot. If someone doesn’t like my choice of development tools, languages, etc – that’s their opinion and they are entitled to it. I am not insisting that anyone use the tools I develop. Most of these tools are actually developed for my company’s use – I release them for others to use. 10 years, a couple million downloads, and 40,000 forums posts later, there must be at least a few people out there that don’t mind my development choices.

February 25, 2009 at 5:39 pm

C# is also on the rise as far as market share and other areas of growth go, it’s already surpassed Java (which is on the decline):

1. Links 25/05/2022: ‘V Rising’ on GNU/Linux and Pearl Linux OS 11

2. Links 25/05/2022: Librem Tries Another Approach

3. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, May 24, 2022

IRC logs for Tuesday, May 24, 2022

4. Links 24/05/2022: nginx-1.22.0 and WordPress 6.0

5. [Meme] Divine Protection

You won’t find Monopoly Tony (António Campinos) wearing a mask at the EPO because the rules of the Office do not apply to him

6. António Campinos and the Alicante Clique (EPO Management, Appointed Based on Nepotism Despite Lack of Qualifications) Nowadays Exploiting Kids for PR Charades

The sick old habit of exploiting kids for Public Relations (PR) and marketing purposes is all too common at the EPO (they’re constantly exploiting “the children” to associate criticism of the EPO with demeaning the young and innocent), but the management — which enjoys nepotism and immunity rather than relevant skills — carries on today and it’s being called “inaugural”

7. [Meme] Snake on a Plane

The EPO‘s President ‘Monopoly Tony’ (António Campinos), whom you never see wearing a mask (none of the photo ops; he does not even socially distance himself from peers, he wears sneakers instead of masks) during the height of a pandemic, is the "f***ing president"; don’t tell him to wear one…

8. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part XX — Entering Phase II

We're about to resume the long-running series about the sick clique which ran GitHub until the assault on women became too much of a liability (among other wrongdoings and PR blunders)

9. Links 24/05/2022: Fedora 37 Test Days and Tor Browser 11.0.13

10. Microsoft Vidal, as USPTO Director, Already Plays 'Political Cards' to Disguise and Deflect Away From the Corporate Agenda

Microsoft Vidal, another corporate pawn in charge of the world’s most dangerous patent system, is using soft-spoken defle

11. Links 24/05/2022: WAL-G 2.0

12. IRC Proceedings: Monday, May 23, 2022

IRC logs for Monday, May 23, 2022

13. Unethical Advertising, Published as So-called 'Articles', in CNX Software

As we noted earlier this year, the CNX team is looking for money in the wrong places

14. Links 23/05/2022: Broadcom to Buy VMware?

15. LibreOffice Conference 2022, As Before, Puts the Keynotes on Sale (the Rich Buy Influence, the Price Doubles)

Discrimination against the community; talks and mentions are based on money, not merit ($2000 has become $4000 in just one year)

16. Links 23/05/2022: Kdenlive 22.04.1 and New Alpine Linux Released

17. António Campinos Promotes Software Patents Using Buzzwords and Sketchy Loopholes With Dubious Legal Basis

‘Monopoly Tony’ (António Campinos) is shamelessly manipulating EPO processes at both ends (sender and receiver) to facilitate the illegal granting of invalid European software patents; we’re meant to think this former EU official and imposter (banker) is some guru in the sciences because he reads a lousy speech crafted for him with lots of meaningless buzzwords peppered all over it (he’s not good at reading it, either)

18. [Meme] Jorgotta Be Kidding Us, Campinos!

Monopoly Tony (António Campinos) runs the EPO by attacking the very legal basis of the EPO’s existence

19. Unified Patent Court (UPC) Relies Too Much on Lies and Mischief Without Any Basis in Law

Today’s video runs through the typical (weekly) lies from Team UPC — lies that are very easy to debunk; Team UPC not only drafted the thing but also looks to profit from it while misleading politicians and bribing publishers to spread intentionally misleading statements (lies)

20. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, May 22, 2022

IRC logs for Sunday, May 22, 2022

21. Links 23/05/2022: Fedora 36 Reviewed

22. [Meme] It's My Working Party... And I'll Cry If I Want to!

EPO President António Campinos is still not being held accountable for his Code of Conduct violations

23. Links 22/05/2022: The 5.18 Kernel is Out

24. Gemini is Bigger Than Most People Care to Realise

Geminispace has gotten to the point where it's too computationally expensive (or outright pricey) to study, let alone keep abreast of, Gemini capsules or the domain space as a whole

25. Links 22/05/2022: Rock64 and Peppermint OS Release

26. [Meme] UPC is Always Next Year (and Next Year It'll Surely be the Year After That)

The UPC will come “next year”, just like every year (since almost a decade ago) just because the lunatic promises so and crushes the law, quite frankly as usual, cusioned and protected by the UPC lobby

27. UPC: Turning Patent Lawyers Into Liars and the Media Into Their Money-Grabbing Megaphone (Platform for Fake News)

The above 26 screenshots (with necessary annotation added) hopefully illuminate the degree of deceit, manipulation, bribery and distortion of public discourse (fake news and advocacy of patently unlawful activities)

28. Number of Working/Online Gemini Capsules, Known to Totally Legit Gemini Search (TLGS) and to Lupa, Exceeds 2,500

Assuming that Lupa reduced its crawling capacity (this graph seems to confirm this), we’ve decided to aggregate data from 3 sources and assess the size of Geminispace; Lupa says it can see 1,947 active capsules, but there are many more it has not kept track of

29. [Meme] Monopoly Tony

The gentlest, kindest president the EPO ever had

30. It Took Campinos Three or More Years to Undo Illegal Battistelli Actions on Boards of Appeal and Strike Regulations (Only After Losing at ILO-AT!), But He Does Not Mention That

Let’s all remember that as the EPO‘s so-called ‘President’ António Campinos (Monopoly Tony) vigorously defended completely unlawful actions of Benoît Battistelli until courts compelled him to stop doing that (Strike Regulations); notice how, in the video above — a portion of this full clip from several months ago — he did not bother mentioning that for 3.5 years that he had “led” the Office the Boards of Appeal were in exile, in direct violation of the EPC, yet nobody is being held accountable for it