01.25.11

Sockpuppets and Nymshifting

Posted in Site News at 1:38 pm by Dr. Roy Schestowitz

Roy Schestowitz, London

Summary: Response to libelous accusations against yours sincerely and the Techrights community in general

The rule of thumb is that in Techrights we ignore trolls, avoid naming them, and definitely abstain from linking to them. In 2009 we just spent too much time and space addressing their claims and this whole process fed them. Another implicit rule is that when lies are being repeated they must be rebutted and a correction posted somewhere visible. While many lies were addressed in Identica, it would be handy to have them posted in this blog too.

Mono boosters and other people whose interests are stifled by this Web site have been making accusations against myself and against this site, despite having no evidence whatsoever. The claims are of course false and they help show how dishonest our adversaries are. I have no ‘dirt’ that can be used against me (some people go all the way to the distant past and still can’t find any), so the trolls make some stuff up and repeat it ad infinitum, sometimes citing one another as ‘proof’. One of the more shameless claims is that I change names or have multiple accounts. These are lies. In order to promote and give credence to such libel someone appears to be creating sockpuppet accounts or agent/s provocateur who pretend to be me or pretend to represent this Web site. So to clarify again, official accounts of this site were listed last week. Anything else is fake and since I never comment in other Web sites (due to fakers), anyone who claims to be yours truly in some blog post is probably an imposter looking to cause trouble. One lie related to this is that I’m on Reddit when in fact I never was and never will be because it's filled with Novell employees, Microsoft boosters, and Mono lobbyists.

Techrights challenges many institutions and people, so it expects this sort of flak. It is not going to impede future efforts to shine a light on bad behaviour and malevolent individuals. There is another strand of attacks on this Web site right about now and we might cover it shortly.

1. techwrongs said,

January 25, 2011 at 1:47 pm

“Techrights challenges many institutions and people, so it expects this sort of flak. ”

ZOMGLOLOL

2. Dr. Roy Schestowitz said,

January 25, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Update: it didn’t take long for some ‘wise guy’ to create a fake account under my name. I shall report this to Reddit.

gnufreex Reply:

Account have been deleted, and I regret that I didn’t took screen-shot of the forger. Because trolls will surely try to deny it ever happened.

3. Clanky said,

January 25, 2011 at 2:30 pm

Roy, while I don’t in anyway condone people trying to post things in the name of someone else would you at least be man enough to admit that many of these attacks come from people within the FOSS community who are horrified at the damage which you and your fellow zealots are doing to Linux / FOSS rather than “Mono boosters and other people whose interests are stifled by this Web site”.

It is very easy to put the tinfoil hat on and claim that all the negative attention which you attract is due to Microsoft and Novell being so terrified of the power of FOSS that they are forced to lower themselves to tactics like this, but surely it would be far more productive to take a long hard look at yourself and think about why people within the FOSS community hold you in such contempt?

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

…people within the FOSS community hold you in such contempt?

That’s another one of those lies mostly repeated by people whose interests are stifled by this site. I have thousands of followers who are part of the “FOSS community” (not a clearly defined community) and they can tell smears apart from truths.

techwrongs Reply:

lulz it is no lie. You sir are the lie.

twitter Reply:

I’d like to see you prove what you say. You can start by naming, “people within the FOSS community” who have anything bad to say about Roy who do not also make a living through Novell or Microsoft. You might also name any “damage” that Roy’s careful research does to “Linux / FOSS”. The reasonable people, like RMS and PJ, seem to agree with what Roy has said.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

A lot of the time I reach the same conclusions they do but well ahead of them.

Robotron Reply:

I’m sorry, but did you just call RMS reasonable? This is a man who, though he has used and programmed computers for years, does not actually use a web browser or “surf” the internet. He also refuses to conduct any interviews with reporters who don’t refer to ‘Linux’ as ‘GNU/Linux’. On camera, he once removed his socks and began eating his own toe jam. Disgusting.

On the other side of the isle is PJ, an anonymous woman (or man) who spends almost as much time as Roy tirelessly collating legal documents because she was “offended” by attacks on Linux.

Reasonable indeed. -_-

twitter Reply:

RMS uses Epiphany from time to time but prefers to get things done in Emacs.

PJ is an award winning journalist.

You can call any person passionate enough to excel “unreasonable” if you are lazy and unaccomplished.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

The poster has been banned from several sites including OpenBytes, where he was the first (and only) to have ever been banned, e.g. for inflammatory, X-rated language and for attacking a man and his family due to differing opinions. IOW, I know we’re feeding a troll here.

Adrian Malacoda Reply:

Because how Mr. Stallman chooses to use the web is totally relevant to this discussion, right?

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Even Miguel de Icaza used this red herring against him (around 2 years ago).

4. gnufreex said,

January 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Just for clarity, “clanky” is nym for notorious hater site called Linsux.

gnufreex Reply:

*for / from

techwrongs Reply:

I shall dawn my foil hat and go check out this “linsux”.

5. Clanky said,

January 25, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Roy, read my post again, really read it, then read your reply and see how it would make you look to someone who is not a software zealot.

Does it not tell you something that the people who you say are trying to boost mono etc. are pretending to be you on the internet and acting like you do?

Yes, you may have thousands of followers, but so do other minor religions which is what you appear to be trying to turn FOSS into and those thousands of followers do not hide the fact that many within the FOSS community feel that you are doing more harm than good with your crusade.

Like I said, take a long hard look at what you are doing and what your actions are doing to the image of FOSS in general and ask yourself what you are really achieving.

And just for the record, I am not an employee of Microsoft, or Novell, or anyone else involved in software for that matter.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

From what a person whom I trust tells me, you are from Linsux, a site that proclaims to be anti-Linux and used to spread a lot of disgusting libel against me (even things like castration of bodyparts), even in pro-Linux sites.

6. Clanky said,

January 25, 2011 at 2:55 pm

“Ah! This I did not know. Linsux, a site that proclaims to be anti-Linux, used to pick smears against me (from Microsoft trolls in USENET) and then repost them in pro-Linux sites like Ubuntu Forums. They tried to incite the FOSS community against me this way. In turn, even Jono Bacon and a Microsoft TE (Wong, a paid shill) read and spread these comments from Linsux intruders, selling the bogus story that the FOSS community was “against me”. They thought that linking to Ubuntu Forums sure meant the posters were pro-Linux (they were Linsux members).”

To the best of my knowledge Linsux has never done this. I can’t speak for individual members, but the site as a whole really doesn’t care enough to orchestrate any kind of smear campaign.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

So you do acknowledge being part of that site (by not denying it).

7. Clanky said,

January 25, 2011 at 3:01 pm

Our messages seem to be crossing in the ether here, yes I am a member of Linsux, like I said above I do not believe that Linsux has ever orchestrated any kind of smear campaign against you.

Neither of these facts however change the truth in what I am saying in that the religious zeal of you and others within the FOSS community are harming FOSS. Linsux, despite popular opinion is not an anti-linux site, many of us are Linux users, I generally use Fedora, however, we are anti-zealotry, we believe that Linux needs to address the technical issues which are making it technically inferior to other operating systems before it can make an issue out of the moral superiority of free software.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Enough said. You deny the actions of a site which would not deny it.

techwrongs Reply:

“You deny the actions of a site which would not deny it.”

zomglol

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

The truth is funny to you. Just laughing does not constitute an argument and you did this twice in this thread already.

gnufreex Reply:

“Site as a whole” is pretty abstract concept. I am sure that CMS you are using has done nothing wrong, but you friends linsuxers sure did.

Evidence please.

gnufreex Reply:

It is pretty dumb to demand evidence in comment to an article that writes about ongoing identity theft. Mr “Clanky” obviously came here to defend a forger, probably because he was aware of the smear campaign that is going on.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

It came within minutes of the abuse. Who knows…? These could be the same people.

techwrongs Reply:

I would never expect you to do my homework. Could you imagine being challenged on your dissertation and being told to “google it”!

You will not prove it because you cannot prove it because it is a lie, and that sir is a fact as proven by your inability to defend your case.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I have already explained to you why I won’t take the extra mile for you. You called me names and abused this site, now you want me to link to scandalous material.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I don’t want to link to examples as that would feed a cesspool site.

techwrongs Reply:

Let me put it another way. Links or you are lying.

Google is your friend.

techwrongs Reply:

Not in this instance. If you can’t or won’t prove it, we will simply accept that you are lying. It is so very easy to lie on the internet, just as it is so very easy to make up accounts as other peoples names. All of the things you decry as being wrong you seem to do your self, and look the other way whilst doing so.

So, again. Evidence, or you are lying.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Google is your friend. You have been assaulting me with vivid vocabulary (other threads) and yet you expect me to do your homework.

8. Clanky said,

January 25, 2011 at 3:10 pm

I would be very careful Roy, you are very close to libel here, I would suggest that you either provide some evidence of these outrageous claims or moderate your tone a little.

All of this smokescreen over my me,bership of linsux does not address the issue though, the reason you attract such negative attention on the internet has much more to do with the people within the FOSS community being horrified at the damage you and your fellow zealots are doing to FOSS than “Mono boosters and other people whose interests are stifled by this Web site”. As I said above, the very existence of Linsux is a reaction to this kind of zealotry.

9. Dr. Roy Schestowitz said,

January 25, 2011 at 3:13 pm

I would be very careful Roy, you are very close to libel here…

Nice threats you got there. Our commenting policy generally forbids threats.

techwrongs Reply:

What is good for the goose is good for the gander. You seem to use the libel word quite often yourself.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Not phrased as a threat.

techwrongs Reply:

Whenever you use that term, it is a threat.

Against whom?

10. Clanky said,

January 25, 2011 at 3:20 pm

Where is the threat Roy? It’s a fact not a threat.

If you make claims in writing which you cannot provide evidence for then that is libel, pointing out the fact that your posts above a very close to libel is not a threat.

Yet more smoke-screens to avoid the issue. Seriously, I don’t want to get into mud slinging here, I made a point in my initial post and I think you would do well to look at what I said and address the points there.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

You know darn well what you did, yet you play naïve. People can judge for themselves.

11. Clanky said,

January 25, 2011 at 3:26 pm

Yet more smokescreen to avoid addressing the issue.

“You know darn well what you did, yet you play naïve. People can judge for themselves”

And they will Roy, they will.

They will read this and they will see your outrageous claims, your continued failure to back them up and your continued attempts to divert the conversation away from the real issue at hand which is the fact that you are doing more harm than good by your ridiculous actions.

Goodnight.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

If you want proof, Google is your friend. I don’t want to link to that X-rated site you affiliate yourself with.

techwrongs Reply:

Dr. Roy Schestowitz. I challenge you to grow a pair. Man up, and provide evidence.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I challenge you to improve your manners.

techwrongs Reply:

I’ll make a deal with you. Provide some evidence, and I’ll use my inside voice.

Google is your buddy.

techwrongs Reply:

You are so worthless that it’s pitiful. You have no credibility, and you will never have any credibility as long as you continue to run your mouth without any shred of evidence to support your case.

Google is my buddy, and it shows that you are nothing but a lying fool.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Maybe Microsoft Bing is your buddy, so I apologise.

techwrongs Reply:

Right, I disagree with you so I get a paycheck from M$.

I see you are still wearing the foil hat. Probably want to loosen it a little.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Check your humour meter. It’s broken.

techwrongs Reply:

That wasn’t humor. This site, that’s humour.

Maybe to you.

12. techwrongs said,

January 25, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

The analogy is improper for many reasons. For starters, pointing to smears is not the same as defending a dissertation.

techwrongs Reply:

Making a claim without substantiating the claim is the very same.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

It’s not at the level that I noted.

techwrongs Reply:

lulz you are a thick one Mr. Schestowitz.

Comment entropy: 0.

13. wallclimber said,

January 25, 2011 at 4:36 pm

@Clanky

You say that “people within the FOSS community” hold Roy in “contempt?”

Which people do you mean, how many? Just a few? Just you? Or do you somehow believe you are speaking for the entire FOSS community?

You say that Roy should “admit that many of these attacks come from people within the FOSS community.”

I know quite a few people within the FOSS community, not one of them would ever “attack” anyone, much less condone such behavior.

Apparently there are posers who merely claim to be part of the FOSS Community, but they are more interested in disrupting conversations and causing discord than anything else.

I think that description may apply to both you, “Clanky”, and “techwrongs”.

And yes, I’ve seen the Linsux stupidity in action on the Ubuntu Forums Cafe.

Since the UF Community Cafe has been closed for several days now, and likely won’t be opened again for a while, I’m thinkin’ the nasty little Linsux brats have become bored and decided to find other places to cause trouble.

Roy is correct, those who honestly DO support Free Software are generally smart enough to see through such childish nonsense as yours.

I don’t always agree with Roy’s opinions, but I’ve never known him to be dishonest. He’s certainly shown courage in continuing to maintain this website, in spite of the onslaught of ugliness from trolls, like the Linsux gang.

I don’t usually comment here, but it just didn’t seem right that Roy should have to put up with this sort of nasty foolishness. Especially not from a pack of brats that are clueless about the Community they claim to be part of.

Just sayin’…

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Long time no see, wallclimber. I was wondering, did you get my mail from about a month ago? Don’t be a stranger…

twitter Reply:

I think we can safely dismiss these nyms as trolls. They came from a well know gnu/linux hating site to make outrageous, fact free claims and then demanded prof of innocence to tweak their sense of hypocrisy and wool pulling. In short, they are here to libel and cause distress.

As a side note, a reasonable proof of Linsux’s attention to Roy can be found at the Urban dictionary which currently has the following definition and use for the word linsux.

Linsux 11 up, 3 down
    A reference to the quite clearly awesome Anti-Linux website, Linsux.org. “Dude, have you checked out Linsux today? They ripped Boycott Novell a new one!”

The user Linxus in the Ubuntu forums is not very active but was trolly enough and racked up some kind of positive community feedback before terminating a year ago. If we look through the comments, we might find some Boycott Novell bashing, but I’m not going to waste my time that way.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I didn’t even know that “Boycott Novell” was mentioned in urbandictionary.com.

14. vexorian said,

January 25, 2011 at 11:08 pm

These “people in the FOSS community” would have to be rather cowardly and not too much into openness. To misrepresent Roy to smear him instead of using their nicks/ names to voice their opinion about how exactly Roy “damages Linux/FOSS”.

Oh the mono lobby is part of the FOSS community which is a rather mixed bunch of people with different agendas. We have Novell, and you wouldn’t come to pretend that their agenda was not to destroy Linux as a side effect of attempting to become MS’ pet. In 2007, the guys that bashed Roy for causing division in the community and many other accusations merely because of his work and reporting against Novell could have gotten away with it. But nowadays, in 2011 it is rather confirmed that basically all of the stuff speculated by this site turned out to be so horrifying true.

I mean, we have Miguel “superb” Icaza, whom in his time pretended to be just a nice guy working for a nice company that spread disinformation and boosters for OOXML just because he liked the format and never bothered to disclose that Novell got paid by MS specifically to promote OOXML. Who knows if Icaza had an effect in the OOXML ISO fail, but it was so harmful to the community. And I mean seriously, we have a guy who got paid by Microsoft to promote a standard who was in part made to destroy Linux’ competivity by making sure office documents stay microsoft-only. The whole money trail is confirmed and the “superb” debacle is still rather archived.

Hey, did you read that last paragraph? We have a documented case of a person getting paid by MS to attack FOSS, but apparently some FOSS guys prefer to come Roy and bash him for being one of many messengers of these sad, sad news. Because that’s just ultimately what Roy is doing, he is merely reporting these things. Or what, do you think Roy makes those things up? Here’s Rob Weir twitting what Groklaw’s Pamela Jones said about the same thing: https://twitter.com/rcweir/statuses/17242705654456320 . But I guess you still think that Roy is the devil, that or you probably also think that PJ and Rob Weir are part of the party that is out there to damage the FOSS community.

If you guys think that the reporting of these things is harmful to FOSS, then maybe you should go after the people that cause these events to happen.

Oh, and calling everyone that disagrees with you a zealot really denigrates your own position.

Robotron Reply:

Roy doesn’t report, he distorts. Reading news articles found elsewhere, picking out the worst parts, highlighting those in his own articles, then discarding anything that doesn’t make his chosen target look bad.

An example of this? http://techrights.org/2010/07/03/amazon-reviews-for-microsoft/

The article claims OpenOffice is ranked higher than Microsoft Office on Amazon.com. 5 out of 5 stars. Fantastic, right? Except that 5 star rating is based on….

wait…. wait for it…

5 reviews. Just 5. Only 5. Now six months later, one negative review has been added. Not to mention, what kind of idiots get OpenOffice from Amazon in the first place?

But…. why? Why didn’t Roy take into account the number of votes? Did he simply forget to make note of this? No, because he doesn’t care about being factual, truthful, or honest. He only wanted to make Microsoft look bad, and showing only the number of “stars” without any other background information does just that.

What little “truth” Roy might uncover, or disclose, or whatever you choose to call it, is drowned out in the sea of poisonous garbage he generates on an almost daily basis.

Roy can’t be trusted to be honest, reasonable, fair, and balanced. He only cares about doing whatever it takes to make his enemies look bad. Those against him are labeled trolls, or worse. Don’t buy into this fantasy game of good vs evil.

vexorian Reply:

Well, I findi t exciting that Roy’s opponents seem to love office that much. But if that’s your best example, it is pretty silly isn’t it? You say Roy is distorting the news and being dishonest because he didn’t put a spotlight on the number of reviews? He seemed more interested in the actual content of the reviews…

Sure, it seems like Roy is over optimistic about Open Office vs. Office, but I don’t see how would that exact issue paint him as the demon as the people resorting to name calling “He’s an extremist bigot and a partisan douche bag” want him to look.

Oh, look! ah guy that likes open office more than office 2010!!!11 That must be harmful to the FOSS community, I guess…

vexorian Reply:

Oh and of course he is biased, the whole point of blogs is to find news reports with added bias. Not different at all from, say , Miguel de Icaza showing all his happiness whenever he finds some cool .NET app.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

The word “biased” misses the point, I think. What I try to cover here are issues that I understand better (e.g. patents), so my selection of material is being limited to a topic. If that makes it “biased”, then so be it.

My personal blog contains a lot of the technical posts, whereas Techrights looks mostly at events and ethics, e.g. should software be patentable?

15. Robotron said,

January 25, 2011 at 11:28 pm

I am Robotron. I am not now nor have I ever been affiliated, employed, or endorsed by any technology company. Any claim otherwise is without a basis in fact. My interests are not stifled by this website. I simply don’t like Roy’s kind.

My problem with Roy is simple. He’s an extremist bigot and a partisan douche bag. Don’t think for one moment Roy can be beaten. He’s more dedicated, more focused, and more committed than any outside critic. In a word, he’s sick. This is his life: Typing articles, chewing the fat in IRC, trolling usenet forms, spamming social networking sites. Anyone against him is an evil troll. You cannot win. He fights for good, you stand for evil. He has followers, you have the silent majority. You can’t reason with the unreasonable.

All you can do is trap him in his own illogical bias. Roy cannot and will not acknowledge any technical or factual mistakes in his material that could reflect positively on any proprietary software company. With this in mind, I hereby issue an official challenge to Roy. Allow me to be a guest on Techbytes. I will outline everything wrong with his crusade, the mistakes he makes and the facts he spins. I will even send him an outline showing in detail the points I will raise, so he can’t later claim he was caught off guard.

But will Roy accept? No, because ultimately he is a coward who knows how to avoid the questions that will show his flaws. On Techrights/Boycott Novell, comments that expose his wrongs can be safely ignored and his small but loyal followers will just brush them off, safely buried under the next day’s pile of articles. In a discussion, Roy will fold like faster than a lawn chair in a hurricane.

16. tristam.green said,

January 26, 2011 at 8:25 am

Hi there.

Long-time listener, first-time caller.

Roy, I gotta say. You come across as a world-class, grade-A jerk. Trying to libel websites and members thereof, then when confronted with requests for evidence of your accusations, demanding that the accused “Google it”? How pretentious can you get?

I’ve read plenty of your vitriol on BN/Techrights.org — take it from someone who has no stake in either “side” of your perceived war between Proprietary and “Free” software — your mean-spirited and acid-laced arguments are excessively damaging to what you profess to love.

17. wallclimber said,

January 26, 2011 at 8:46 am

@Robotron

You say you “are not now nor have ever been affiliated, employed, or endorsed by any technology company.”

I actually believe you, since it’s very hard to imagine any real technology company wishing to endorse, be affiliated with, or employ you. But take heart, someday you might grow up enough to be employable. Anything’s possible. I hear McDonalds will hire just about anyone.

You say that you “simply don’t like Roy’s kind.” By “kind” you mean someone who’s actually employed in a real technology job? And who is also endorsed by, and affiliated with, a real technology community?

Robotron, there’s no need to continue feeling jealous or inadequate. With enough time, a lot of hard work, dedication, education and bit of moral fortitude, even you might make something of yourself someday. It’s certainly worth a try.

Your little rant also seems to indicate a lot of frustration. Apparently you’re upset that all your mean-spirited bullying hasn’t been able to stop the sharing of news and information on Techrights.

Perhaps someone needs to explain to you that the Universe is a mighty big place, and that you really aren’t the center of it.

I know, it’s a shock to you now, but you’ll get over it eventually.

18. Clanky said,

January 27, 2011 at 4:14 am

Wall climber said “it just didn’t seem right that Roy should have to put up with this sort of nasty foolishness”

See this is part of the problem. Roy runs a website which spreads FUD, he has set himself on a crusade and he trolls the interwebz with nonsense like “Vista 7″, if you are going to behave like this then you will attract the kind of negative activity that Roy attracts.

I certainly don’t condone someone else pretending to be Roy and smearing his name, but my point is that every time this sort of thing happens Roy immediately starts blaming the nasty proprietary software people, news for you Roy: if Microsoft are even aware of your existence they would do nothing to hinder you because you and your ludicrous, extremist, jihadist stance do more to ensure that Linux will remain in obscurity for ever than any amount of ridiculous Microsoft lawsuits could ever do.

For me the really sad part of the whole story is that having spent a bit of time reading this site there is actually some very good and very valid content, but it is all lost amongst the petty finger pointing and name calling.

Like I have said all along, Roy, I challenge you to look, really look, at what you are doing and at how your crusade makes the entire FOSS community look, man up and at least admit that there are people within the community who have legitimate concerns about this site and address those concerns rather than using smoke screens and hiding behind the idea that you are being persecuted by Microsoft / Novell / et al.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

@Clanky: While I appreciate your “challenge”, given that you come from an anti-Linux site, anything you say about “hurting FOSS” only validates what I do.

@Wallclimber: did you get my mail about a month ago? I sent it to Gmail.

twitter Reply:

More empty language, Clanky. You have yet to show me:

1) “people within the FOSS community” who have anything bad to say about Roy who do not also make a living through Novell or Microsoft.

2) any “damage” that Roy’s careful research does to “Linux / FOSS”.

Complaining about “Vista 7″ and “petty name calling” mostly proves your lack of humor and hypocrisy. Roy’s research is solid and he presents it in a way that appeals to a wide audience. You and other sockpuppets are here calling him names because he’s effective.

19. Clanky said,

January 30, 2011 at 5:59 pm

Roy,

firstly an apology for the delay in replying, Linsux is not actually anti-linux ( I know this seems hard to believe, but go and actually read some of the content there), while in general most of us have issues with both the technical aspects of linux (and free software in general) as well as much of zealotry surrounding it, I would say that most of the users there actually do use and believe in the ideals of free software.

Linsux (and other sites like it) exist because of the fact that many people within the FOSS community are sick of the fact that anyone who raises there head above the parapet and complains about any aspect of Linux (admittedly some distros are worse than others) is automatically shouted down as either an idiot who doesn’t know what they are talking about, a Microsoft troll spreading the FUD, or a misguided soul who needs to be shown the true path to enlightenment.

As an example of this I have just been called a sockpuppet above, everything that i post on the internet goes under the name of clanky, I make no secret of the fact that I post on Linsux, so where is the sockpuppetry?

If people where not so quick to see evil Microsoft trolls everywhere then maybe some of the genuine issues with Linux would be addressed rather than shouted out of existence as if they are some kind of fabrication by Microsoft, the idea that if everyone says “Linux is perfect” enough times will somehow make it so just won’t happen.

The same thing applies to “Micro$oft Windoze” and all the other nonsense, when you try to make a huge issue out of every tiny little flaw in Windows as though it were the end of the world, people will look at the system they have, realise that it works for them 99.9% of the time and shrug, when you then raise something which is genuinely awful about Windows they will shrug their shoulders and say “meh, it’s just those crazy FOSS zealots again”.

The reason all the so-called anti-Linux sites exist is because there is such a defensive attitude within the FOSS community to any criticism that the only way to be heard is to be more ridiculous than the zealots and hopefully let the zealots see what their own behaviour looks like to others.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Is this a message endorsed by the one/s running that site? Because it conflicts others.

20. Clanky said,

January 30, 2011 at 6:15 pm

This is my own personal opinion, I can ask the site’s owner to come here and give you a statement if you want, but I am not sure whether he would or not. The site is a bit anarchic and does not really have aims or goals, it’s just there and it is what it is.

There is a lot of inanity and vulgarity, but in amongst it all is actually some quite serious discussion about things that we feel are wrong with both Linux and Free Software, but as i said the majority of people there do actually use Linux.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

They need to understand what they bash.

21. Clanky said,

January 30, 2011 at 6:30 pm

One of our members recently released his own distro, most have been using (and some developing) free software for many years, what do we not understand?

The reason we bash Linux is not because we don’t understand it, but rather because sites like this (and others) have created such a religious zealotry about Linux that the only way to be heard is to scream from the top of the hill.

Linsux, Linux Hater’s Blog, the TM repository and other sites which are labelled as anti-linux only exist as a reaction to zealotry and to the Linux communities refusal to admit to any faults in Linux or to respond to any criticism of Linux with cries of $hill, troll, FUD, idiot.

It is very easy to label everyone who disagrees with you as a troll, it takes a little more effort to actually debate the issues.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I know about Fewt’s distro and I supported it.

The sites you speak of tend to attract people who spread libel and generally dislike GNU/Linux. Maybe it’s more diverse than that.

techwrongs Reply:

It doesn’t sound like a place that spreads libel or dislikes Linux too me if their members are active contributors to the community. Implying that these sites spread libel and general dislike of GNU/Linux could be in itself libelous if the statements are being made without any basis in fact.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I reckon you too are part of that site.

techwrongs Reply:

The fact of the matter is that Clanky has shown evidence that you are either ignorant of the facts about these sites, or you are intentionally lying about these sites for your own personal benefit.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I see no denial of my last supposition.

techwrongs Reply:

I neither confirmed nor denied because it is not relevant to the topic of conversation, and your implication was only intended for you to save face by changing the subject, and as such it was ignored.

Your response however offers no denial that you are either ignorant of the facts about the sites you are libeling, or are you are simply lying for personal gain.

twitter Reply:

Who would want to use a distro from rude people who say empty and pretentious things like this?

A rough translation of the above is, “free software has technical problems and people who advocate it are aggressive lunatics”. Years ago I bothered to read some Linxux “criticism”. It was all general bullshit like that found in the comments above and it was clear that the people there were simply trolls.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

And of course they deny being trolls.

twitter Reply:

They also deny being paid by Microsoft for what they do but it is obvious that they have been doing Microsoft attack dog work for the last week. They have called you a liar hundreds of times, said nasty things about free software and free software personalites, and praised everything from Microsoft including the worst of the pile, Microsoft Office and Active Directory. They do this full time at all hours of a US East Coast working day. Robotron comes and goes but his Techwrongs and Clanky nyms have uncommon persistence. My bet is that someone at Microsoft shoveled a special pile of cash at whatever PR firm Robotron comes from. Let’s see if they work through the weekend too.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

I doubt they are PR people.

twitter Reply:

Who else would have Robotron’s persistence? Allow me to quote Bruce Perens with some added emphasis:

just about every PR firm offers to help “manage the perception of your company in online communities” these days. What do you think that means? Astroturfing Slashdot, Youtube, etc. In my various manangement positions it’s been offered to me. Indeed, some of the companies offer to create negative publicity for your competition that way – HP had a publicity firm for its Linux activities that told us it would do that when we wanted. I never asked them to do so and hope nobody else did either. This stuff is just standard these days. You’ve got to expect it.

PR is not all about being nice and making your company look good, it’s also about making other people look nasty. At least one Microsoft TE was caught trolling this site. That too is a form of PR, Microsoft style. The same jerks have been harassing you for years if not decades.

Dr. Roy Schestowitz Reply:

Not just me. The troll you speak about systematically harasses every pro-Linux site. There are nasty personal attacks (even on one’s family).

1. Links 8/12/2021: Linux 5.15.7 Out, Linux Mint 20.3 is Near

2. Links 8/12/2021: Zorin OS 16 Milestone and Calculate Linux 22 Released; Kubernetes 1.23

3. A Call for Sources and Whistleblowers From Microsoft's GitHub

Remarks on our publications from this morning and a call for more leakers and whistleblowers, who know GitHub better than anybody else (including lots of fools who still outsource all of their hard labour to Microsoft through GitHub)

4. [Teaser] Rape is Not a Joke

Having just uploaded a police report, we’re starting to move the ongoing series to the next phase, which will still be — for the most part — weekly installments on Mondays (for months to come)

5. [Teaser] Meet Microsoft’s Chief Architect of GitHub Copilot, Balabhadra (Alex) Graveley

Alex Graveley, a serial abuser, has been protected by Microsoft; what does that say about Microsoft and about Nat Friedman, GitHub’s CEO whom Alex considers his "best friend"? Stay tuned as we have plenty more to show

6. IRC Proceedings: Tuesday, December 07, 2021

IRC logs for Tuesday, December 07, 2021

7. Links 8/12/2021: FreeBSD 12.3, EasyOS 3.1.13, and WordPress 5.9 Beta 2

8. [Meme] EU Assurances

The EPO‘s staff cannot be blamed for losing patience as elected public representatives completely fail to do their job (with few exceptions)

9. Clare Daly (GUE/NGL) Does What Every Public Official in Europe Should Have Done About EPO Shenanigans

There’s another (new) push to hold the EPO accountable, seeing that the overseers clearly do not do their job and instead cover up the abuses

10. Links 7/12/2021: Firefox 96 Beta and Fedora 37 Abandons ARMv7

11. Links 7/12/2021: Plasma Mobile Gear 21.12 and Tails 4.25

12. All IRC Logs Now Available as GemText Over Gemini Protocol

Today we've completed the transition from plain text over gemini:// to GemText over gemini:// for IRC logs

13. IRC Proceedings: Monday, December 06, 2021

IRC logs for Monday, December 06, 2021

14. [Meme] Rowing to the Bottom of the Ocean

The EPO‘s Steve Rowan (VP1) is failing EPO staff and sort of “firing” workers during times of crisis (not at all a crisis to the EPO’s coffers)

15. EPO Gradually Reduced to 'Fee Collection Agency' Which Eliminates Its Very Own Staff

Mr. Redundancies and Mr. Cloud are outsourcing EPO jobs to Microsoft and Serco as if the EPO is an American corporation, providing no comfort to long-serving EPO staff

16. Linux Foundation 2021 Annual Report Made on an Apple Mac Using Proprietary Software

Yes, you’re reading this correctly. They still reject both “Linux” and “Open Source” (no dogfooding). This annual report is badly compressed; each page of the PDF is, on average, almost a megabyte in size (58.8 MB for a report of this scale is unreasonable and discriminates against people in countries with slow Internet connections); notice how they’re milking the brand in the first page (straight after the cover page, the 1991 ‘creation myth’, ignoring GNU); remember that this foundation is named after a trademark which is not even its own!

17. Links 7/12/2021: OpenIndiana Hipster 2021.10 and AppStream 0.15

18. Microsoft “Defender” Pretender Attacks Random Software That Uses NSIS for installation; “Super Duper Secure Mode” for Edge is a Laugh

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

19. Links 6/12/2021: LibreOffice Maintenance Releases, Firefox 95 Finalised

20. “Wintel” “Secure” uEFI Firmware Used to Store Persistent Malware, and Security Theater Boot is Worthless

Guest post by Ryan, reprinted with permission

21. No Linux Foundation IRS Disclosures Since 2018

The publicly-available records or IRS information about the Linux Foundation is suspiciously behind; compared to other organisations with a "tax-exempt" status the Linux Foundation is one year behind already

22. Jim Zemlin Has Deleted All of His Tweets

The Linux Foundation‘s Jim Zemlin seems to have become rather publicity-shy (screenshots above are self-explanatory; latest snapshot), but years ago he could not contain his excitement about Microsoft, which he said was "loved" by what it was attacking. Days ago it became apparent that Microsoft’s patent troll is still attacking Linux with patents and Zemlin’s decision to appoint Microsoft as the At-Large Director (in effect bossing Linus Torvalds) at the ‘Linux’ Foundation’s Board of Directors is already backfiring. She not only gets her whole salary from Microsoft but also allegedly protects sexual predators who assault women… by hiring them despite repeated warnings; if the leadership of the ‘Linux’ Foundation protects sexual predators who strangle women (even paying them a salary and giving them management positions), how can the ‘Linux’ Foundation ever claim to represent inclusion and diversity?

23. Microsoft GitHub Exposé — Part IX — Microsoft's Chief Architect of GitHub Copilot Sought to be Arrested One Day After Techrights Article About Him

Balabhadra (Alex) Graveley has warrant for his arrest, albeit only after a lot of harm and damage had already been done (to multiple people) and Microsoft started paying him

24. The Committee on Patent Law (PLC) Informed About Overlooked Issues “Which Might Have a Bearing on the Validity of EPO Patents.”

In a publication circulated or prepared last week the Central Staff Committee (CSC) of the EPO explains a situation never explored in so-called 'media' (the very little that's left of it)

25. Links 6/12/2021: HowTos and Patents

26. IRC Proceedings: Sunday, December 05, 2021

IRC logs for Sunday, December 05, 2021

27. Gemini Space/Protocol: Taking IRC Logs to the Next Level

Tonight we begin the migration to GemText for our daily IRC logs, having already made them available over gemini://

28. Links 6/12/2021: Gnuastro 0.16 and Linux 5.16 RC4

29. Links 5/12/2021: Touchpad Gestures in XWayland

30. Society Needs to Take Back Computing, Data, and Networks

Why GemText needs to become 'the new HTML' (but remain very simple) in order for cyberspace to be taken away from state-connected and military-funded corporations that spy on people and abuse society at large