Re: Recent dselect experience

On 19 Apr 1996, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> dselect has this irritating habit of throwing me into the conflict
> resolution screen, and I'm not sure how to persuade it not to do so.

yeah, me too.  It's annoying but you can get around it if you remember that
your decisions are final and that your will power is stronger than any
program's :-)

(seriously, it "feels" like dselect is arrogantly assuming it knows
better than me about what i want on my system, and it feels like some
sort of battle of wills to force dselect to do what *I* want rather than
what it wants)

> HIOS Pri Section  Package   Description
> h*** Std devel libc4        The Linux C library (a.out version 4).
> h -* Xtr devel aout-binutil The GNU assembler and binary utilities (a.out ver
> h -* Xtr devel aout-gcc     The GNU C compiler (a.out compatibility version).

quick fix here would be to unselect aout-binutils & aout-gcc, and then
press "Q" to force dselect to accept your decision.

I had a similar problem with tin requiring inews.  I already had
inews-inn installed, and DIDN'T want cnews or inews to replace
it...dselect kept on forcing the issue and coming up with it's "better"
selections.  I must have got that damned conflict screen at least half a
dozen times before I finally figured out exactly what to do to get dselect
to do what i wanted.

NOTE: If anything else forces a conflict screen to come up, then you'll
have to unselect the aout-* stuff AGAIN because dselect thinks it is wiser
than you and will make the same recommendations again.

Craig