Re: FSF poll

Bruce Perens writes:

> Are you willing to give up those technical points to have FSF's cooperation?

Not any of them.  If they want to design a system, let them design a system.
We could probably do things to makefiles and install scripts to make it
easier for them to do, but we have a difficult enough time determining what
is best.  The reason I'm with debian is not because it has the fastest
release cycle time (although serious package problems generally get fixed
quickly), I'm here because I think that it is technically the best system.

And because I feel that I can help to make it technically better.  If I
think that I no longer have control, what is the point of doing anything?
I would say that many developers prefer the empowerment over micro-management.
I nearly quit my job over that this week ;)

> We're going to have to give them a lot of what they ask for, and they
> definitely want to have a major say over the system design.

I still think that we should do with them what we do with everyone else.
Take their ideas, and discuss them on their technical merits.  Then accept
or reject them.  If they want to implement it as an *option*, we could
fold their changes back in.  But there's no reason that we should do so.

I think that right now, in the Linux community, having an association with
the FSF might be more of a PR liability than a help.

> There are other issues, too. A good deal of the donations directed to Debian
> would have to go to FSF. So far we're talking about 25%, but they could
> push that higher.

I don't know the numbers, but I doubt we make enough as it is, let alone if
we only made 75% of what we made ;)

--
Carl Streeter               |  "Etiquette-wise, there is no proper time
streeter@adj.com            |    to use the phrase 'It sucks.'" --Dogbert