Re: FSF poll

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> OK - it seems you don't like the points that FSF is asking for (and this
> is only the start). I caught a good deal of abuse for suggesting that RMS
> manage the project.

This abuse was probably justified. I thought you must have been joking.

> Are you willing to give up those technical points to have FSF's cooperation?
> We're going to have to give them a lot of what they ask for, and they
> definitely want to have a major say over the system design. So, say you
> really want FSF's cooperation. Do you want it badly enough to put up with
> the unstripped executables, the installing source with binaries, and the
> mandatory X, Emacs, and VI packages.
>
> It's pretty clear to me that if we don't move on at least some of these,
> there isn't going to be an agreement with FSF.
>
> There are other issues, too. A good deal of the donations directed to Debian
> would have to go to FSF. So far we're talking about 25%, but they could
> push that higher.

I am having a hard time understanding why we are attempting to maintain
this relationship. It seems to be totaly one sided. FSF wants full control
AND a cut of the action?!

It seems to me that the only things that we get from an association with
FSF is:

A bad reputation.

A bad design direction.

A bad financial arrangement.

If there is nothing positive to be gained from this relationship, why are
we persuing it?

Luck,

Dwarf