Re: FSF negociations

On Wed, 24 Apr 1996, Bruce Perens wrote:

> I need a poll on how positive or negative you guys are on these FSF requests:
>
> 1. Install 100% unstripped executables on the hard disk.
>
> 2. Install source code on the hard disk whenever the binary package is
>    installed.

These two things are fine if you have the drive space to store all of
that.  I don't see anything wrong with the _option_ to install source (or
unstripped) but I would rather not be forced to.  I have had students ask
about the size that they need to run unix on a PC and if I tell them say
200-300 Megs then it is like well ok but if I say "Well you will need a one
gig drive for this...." they look at me and say "No way..I can't afford
that".  Some are willing to "go all the way" but most that I have talked
to just want the bare minimums until they get comfortable the OS, desire
to mess some aspect or have a "real job." :)

> 3. Make X-Windows, Emacs, and VI standard, not optional, parts of the system.

I use X and Emacs most of the time but there are some machines that there
is no need to have that sort of space that those programs take up wasted.  I
like the fact of it being optional.

Just my $.02

David

David Brinks - Assist Sys Admin.   brinks@cps.cmich.edu
422 Pearce Hall                    Mail maintainer of:  archive, ftpadmin
Computer Science Department           www, and sometimes other accounts
Central Michigan University           used for admin purposes.
---All opinions, and possibly some of the facts, are strictly of my own.----