Re: FSF negociations

    Bruce> I need a poll on how positive or negative you guys are on
    Bruce> these FSF requests:

    Bruce> 1. Install 100% unstripped executables on the hard disk.

    Bruce> 2. Install source code on the hard disk whenever the binary
    Bruce> package is installed.

    Bruce> 3. Make X-Windows, Emacs, and VI standard, not optional,
    Bruce> parts of the system.

I vote no to all three.

I have been following in amazement this entire story, and perhaps I
miss something fundamental given that I know very little of how debian
came about and how you and other authoritative debian individuals
have interacted with rms.

I only know I like debian better than other distributions.

I do not understand what these three points have to do with free
software. Perhaps point 2 is related, but I have always interpreted
the GPL to mean that the source would be available, with or without
the binary, on some ftp server or on a CD or whatever medium, not that
I _must_ have the sources on the system where I have the binary.

I don't understand any of this from the technical point of view
either. Why would I want to be able to debug all the executables?
Isn't this why we have official developers? And if I really felt that
a bug ought to be fixed, as others have said, I would only then go get
the sources. I maintain just one package and find it difficult to
debug that, why on earth would I want to be able to debug the kernel?
Linux is becoming more and more popular even in professional
environments(*) exactly because it not perceived any longer as a
system that only computer geeks who can debug kernel core dumps with
vi can run (no offense, computer geeks out there: I really would like
to be one. Some people however need only an affordable and reliable
system to do some work).

A big selling point of Linux is that it runs on as small a box as
possible. At times that means no room for emacs (that I love), or X
(love that too but it's a hog), or anything that is not strictly
necessary (at one stage I had Linux on a 386sx with 5MB of RAM and 120
MB of disk, and it was a useful for work as well! Try that with
Windoze!!). Not to mention the costs (memory and disk).

Giuseppe

(*) I work for the European Space Agency. The science operations for
the next big (G-buck range) X-ray satellite will be run on a cluster
(22) of Linux boxes.