Re: A rather radical beta-test announcement for you to consider

> On Fri, 26 Apr 1996, David H. Silber wrote:
>
> > Raul Miller says:
>
> > > If we want to distinguish debian systems from non debian systems
> > > yet also position ourselves as a base system which ought to be part of
> > > other distributions, I think we shouldn't call what we produce a
> > > "distribution" but a [package] management system, or something along
> > > that line.
> >
> > Ahh, that's a thought!   Perhaps ``Debian'' could be a distribution built
> > upon our ``Linux Base'' package management system.  This would allow us to
> > separate the name-space a little bit.  Users would be informed of ``Debian
> > Releases'', while distribution maintainers and those who want/need to be on
> > the cutting edge could be informed of package updates for ``Linux Base''.
>
> David, I think you're the first person who's got this idea right (no
> offence, Bruce, but ...).  This would have the desired effect of
> providing the Base system, while detracting nothing from Debian itself:
> Debian would just be one of these `value added distributions', and a
> model for how we think other distributions should be put together.  Or

(Including the fact that the Debian distribution provides support to the
Linux Base.)

> does that sound too arrogant? - I'm not really into marketing, I'm sure
> it can be worded better by someone who is.
>
> The only trouble here is that some work will be needed to split up Debian
> from the Base system - and if we want this to be a model for other
> distributions to follow, we *must* get it right first time ....  So on
> those grounds, maybe this should be delayed until 1.2, by which time we
> can write a proper specification which we then follow ourselves and give
> to other distribution maintainers.  [By coincidence, that process is
> analogous to my work with Braille access - the first release will be all
> together, then afterwards it will be split up and follow a
> not-yet-written spec.]

I don't see that it would take that much work to make Debian a distribution
built on top of the base system.  We need to change all of the documentation
so that instead of specifying ``Debian'', whatever name the distribution uses
would be specified.  Certain documents would need to be re-written to refer
to ``Linux Base'' instead of a specific distribution.  Various packages and
programs should be renamed.  Although I don't think that we have that much
work to do to make Debian be a distribution built on top of the Linux Base,
I do agree that it should probably take effect with release 1.2.  In the
meantime, we can stabilize the system a bit, add more features and packages
and perhaps find a few distributions who would be happy to drop a large
chunk of their work and/or spin off a few specialty distributions of our own.
(Hey Nikhil, want to put together a ``Braille access'' CD?)  This way, when
we say that we want to be the standard base system, there is a reason to take
us seriously.

--
  David H. Silber     dhs@firefly.com     Project: Refinance the house!
  <http://www.access.digex.net/~dhs/>     Project: lockstep