announcement detail

FSF signed off on the attached two paragraphs from our beta-test
announcement, so they are OK for us to use. I think they were happy
to be acknowledged - they even bought into that "Son of GNU" thing.

I have a lot of deltas from various people which I will merge into the
draft over the next few days. Most of them are fine with me.
I think I am using the correct strategy in comparing Debian to the
other commercial distributions - compare the system to the very best
one without putting it down, and simply remain aloof where comparison
with the other systems is concerned rather than get into a fight. I would
expect that to defuse most of the flame-war potential, but of course there's
always someone willing to pick a fight.

		Bruce

	The system is derived from software licensed under the GPL,
	BSD, Artistic, and other licenses. All critcal system
	components are freely redistributable software. The Debian
	system was created by Ian Murdock, and was partially sponsored
	for one year by FSF's "GNU" project. It should be considered a
	direct descendent of the "GNU" system. The goals of the
	developers correspond to those of FSF and the Free Software
	movement, however we currently are a separate entity from FSF.

	[...]

	Q: What about the Free Software Foundation's GNU Project?

	A: FSF is still planning a GNU operating system which is based
	on HURD.  I think they considered Debian as a first step toward
	this system.  We still encourage them to derive from Debian. We
	had a more formal relationship with FSF some time ago, in that
	they employed Ian Murdock for a year while he was project
	leader, and we then called the system "Debian GNU/Linux". We
	still support the goals of FSF and like to think of Debian as
	"Son of GNU". However, we've separated our organization from
	FSF so that we can have exclusive control over our technical
	direction.

--
"Excusing bad programming is a shooting offense, no matter _what_ the