Re: base disks and editors...

I have already added support for disk cartridges as installation devices.

You have to make the ZIP drive bootable. One way to do this is to put a small
MSDOS partition on it and add the kernel and LOADLIN to this partition.

Create an ext2 partition on the same ZIP drive. This will be the root
filesystem once LOADLIN runs. Copy the root floppy on to it. Copy the file
ftp://ftp.i-connect.net/debian/unstable/disks-i386/base1_1.tgz into the
root directory. The installation script will extract the base system from
this instead of asking for the base floppies.

Create a directory called /debian and put as much of the package archive as
you can in there. Create an appropriate Packages file for this.

This is almost exactly what I do for CD-ROM, except that CD-ROM filesystems
are ISO-9660 and are presumably readable by the DOS or Window system, and thus
I don't need an extra MSDOS partition to boot from.

Note that under the GPL you are legaly committed to provide source code to
anyone you give the binary programs to, if they request it.

	Thanks

     Clinton isn't perfect, but I like him a whole lot more than Dole.

Bruce Perens AB6YM          Bruce@Pixar.com            http://www.hams.com/