Notes on actual mirror behavior (was Re: archive changes for release)

A couple of data points, because, Bruce and Guy, you seem to be
worrying about things that aren't necessarily a problem (assuming
alert mirror operators):

 1) mirror doesn't have a _hard_ limit on the # of files it'll remove.
    It'll happilly delete every single file in your mirror.  Most
    people keep the max number screwed down for just that reason, as a
    safety precaution---if it can't delete all the files, it assumes
    it should let you confirm before it deletes _any_.

 2) If there are more files to delete than its allowed to, mirror is
    smart enough to 1) not get files that it would only have deleted,
    and 2) log the files that _should have been deleted_ in such a
    fashion that you can use the do_unlinks program (which is in
    /usr/doc/examples/mirror, though maybe it should be included as an
    actual part of the package) to actually do the deletes.  This allows
    you to eyeball the procedure before going ahead.

Mike.
--
"Don't let me make you unhappy by failing to be contrary enough...."