Re: Notes on actual mirror behavior (was Re: archive changes for release)

In message <m0uUZKc-00013uC@miles.econ.queensu.ca>, Dirk.Eddelbuettel@qed.econ.queensu.ca writes:

>Right, I always wanted to play with that but never did... How do you
>use do_unlinks? You simply cat the mirror log into it?

You can cat the mirror log to it, or just type `do_unlinks file [file
[file [...]]]', and the wonders of perl take over.  It uses the <>
construct so STDIN or files named on the command line automatically
get processed as appropriate.

>But isn't the mirror log concatenated from several days?

Um.  You know, I never considered that anyone might use mirror
differently than I. :-)

My answer to that is that I have always had mirror mail me the results
of each session so I can glance at it and see if any important updates
got transferred.  Thus I also see if there are any 'NEED TOs' and then
just pipe the mail to do_unlinks once I've looked it over.

The important thing to remember is that I usually don't have to
intervene terribly often because the number of files to delete rarely
reaches my threshold.  So given that you actually want to avoid
running do_unlinks, suggesting that someone needs to maybe do a little
cut-and-paste on those infrequent occasions that they have to use
do_unlinks doesn't seem like a big deal.

Of course, I had to do it a lot when Guy's dinstall started running,
as my mirror of private (which I run separately from the main stuff)
suddenly had an enourmous number of files disappear.  Took me a couple
of moments to assure myself that it was just Incoming getting properly
cleaned.

>Also, it prints unlink path/to/file/name.ext whereas we would need rm.
>Guess that configurable.

I think it's actually "printing" to a buffer that is then eval'd by
perl, so unlink is correct.

do_unlinks, in combination with a reasonable threshold (I use 50% for
both dirs and files), can insure that major faults in the upstream
site don't result in you loosing your whole mirror, while still
letting most activity proceed without your intervention.

I'd be glad to share my various files with anyone interested.

Mike.
--
"Don't let me make you unhappy by failing to be contrary enough...."