Re: newsgroup creation RFD - draft

I'll begin by saying that I'm opposed to distribution specific
subhierarchies, and I hope this proposal will fail. Sorry.

> comp.os.linux.debian.announce   Debian GNU/Linux Announcements.
> comp.os.linux.debian.install    Installing the Debian system.
> comp.os.linux.debian.nontech    Debian non-technical discussion.
> comp.os.linux.debian.tech       Debian technical discussion.
> comp.os.linux.debian.changes    Changes in Debian software packages.

That's too many groups. Debian's not important enough to warrant
five new groups.

It is not a good idea to have both .announce and .changes. Merge
them. Use something like the c.o.l.announce subject prefix
conventions for marking important stuff: IMPORTANT, SECURITY,
STABLE, UNSTABLE. My readers seem to like it (I've never had
anyone complain, and several people say they really like it).

The division between .install, .tech and .nontech is unclear.
Is .install for installation of the base system only? What is
non-technical discussion?

What is the difference between a Debian group and a generic
Linux group? This must be clear, or else there will be confusion.

Moderation policies must be clarified. What about crossposts?
What is a "known abuser"? What is abuse? How do you handle
stuff that automoderation didn't catch?

Will there be links between the current mailing lists and the
new groups?