newsgroup creation RFD - draft

>                 REQUEST FOR DISCUSSION (RFD)
>
>         moderated group comp.os.linux.debian.announce
>         moderated group comp.os.linux.debian.install
>         moderated group comp.os.linux.debian.nontech
>         moderated group comp.os.linux.debian.tech
>         moderated group comp.os.linux.debian.changes

I would suggest comp.os.linux.distributions.debian.* instead.

> Newsgroup lines:
> comp.os.linux.debian.announce   Debian GNU/Linux Announcements.
> comp.os.linux.debian.install    Installing the Debian system.
> comp.os.linux.debian.nontech    Debian non-technical discussion.
> comp.os.linux.debian.tech       Debian technical discussion.
> comp.os.linux.debian.changes    Changes in Debian software packages.

History suggests that .install, .nontech, and .tech will get all
muddled together.  It might be better to have just .misc and
.announce.  That's how c.o.l first split, after all.

> RATIONALE: all groups
>
> To introduce ourselves, Debian GNU/Linux is a completely free Linux
> distribution produced by the non-profit organization "Software in the
> Public Interest". To learn about Debian, check out our web page
> http://www.debian.org/ .

s/To introduce ourselves, //.  Also, it would be good to have the
usual boilerplate you see in RFDs, about how popular Debian is and it
has an increasing level of traffic in c.o.l and so on, so a newsgroup
about it would be popular.

It *replaces* debian-announce@lists.debian.org?

> Moderation policies:
>
> Moderation is automatic with the sole purpose of rejecting traffic from
> known abusers.

This needs much elaboration.

Personally, I feel this function is better far filled by killfiles.
Otherwise everyone screams about being "censored".

> This RFD has been posted to the following newsgroups:
>
>   news.announce.newgroups, news.groups, comp.os.linux.announce
>
> and the following mailing list:
>
>   debian-announce@lists.debian.org
>
> - Proponent: Bruce Perens <Bruce@Pixar.com>

Has it?  If not, the pre-RFD should have "DRAFT" labels on it.
--
Shields, CrossLink.